cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2008, 07:02 AM   #1
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Recruiting questions.........

supposedly the recruits have to convince Bronco why they would be a fit for BYU. So what does recruiting to BYU entail? You invite them to give their pitch as to why BYU should recruit them?

I'm confused.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

When you've interviewed for jobs in the past, do you try to refrain from giving any hint to your prospective employer why you might want to work for them? If so, have you successfully landed a job offer as a result?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
supposedly the recruits have to convince Bronco why they would be a fit for BYU. So what does recruiting to BYU entail? You invite them to give their pitch as to why BYU should recruit them?

I'm confused.
I'm still trying to figure Bronco out.

I'm willing to entertain Goat's theory of Bronco, which is that he is not a mullah/spiritual hard ass and he means nothing with all this talk--he's just pacifying the GA's and the mullah fan base. But behind the scenes he goes about business the same any college coach would. If so (and I desperately hope this is the case), then this idea about recruiting is nonsense. Bronco and his staff are beating down the doors of the top recruits and begging, pleading, and basically disgracing themselves to pander to big headed 17 yo kids, in order to get them to come to BYU. It's the game and you have to play it.

Now if Goat is wrong, and Bronco really means this stuff. Then I'm afraid he's going to miss out on the top LDS on a consistent basis, and the program will not rise to the heights of its potential. The Havilis of the world will be courted by USC and Oregon, and Bronco will talk tough and tell them football means nothing and BYU is the shiz and they have to court Bronco and BYU and explain why they want him. Not gonna work with most of the top guys.

I really worry the more Bronco repeats this BS, but I'm moving further and further to the Goatnapper view of this.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
Indy Coug

So Kaveinga went to USC because BYU didn't grovel and buttkiss enough, or because USC is 10x a better football program than BYU's program is now?
Old 08-08-2008, 03:51 PM   #5
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
So Kaveinga went to USC because BYU didn't grovel and buttkiss enough, or because USC is 10x a better football program than BYU's program is now?
Groveling and buttkissing is a proven method for 17 yo kids, as evidenced by every head coach in the nation doing it. There are obviously other factors, and one data point doesn't mean anything, but over a large sample, refusing to grovel and buttkiss is going to hurt us.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Groveling and buttkissing is a proven method for 17 yo kids, as evidenced by every head coach in the nation doing it. There are obviously other factors, and one data point doesn't mean anything, but over a large sample, refusing to grovel and buttkiss is going to hurt us.
Who do you think we have lost because we didn't grovel to and buttkiss enough?
Old 08-08-2008, 04:00 PM   #7
jay santos

Quote:
Who do you think we have lost because we didn't grovel to and buttkiss enough?

Stop it with this stupid way of debating. Do you really think telling a recruit "we don't recruit you, you recruit us" is a better strategy than to wine and dine like every other program does?

Back to the job interview setting. If you're selecting between two jobs, everything else equal, and one hiring manager tells you "Indy Coug if you want to work here you're gonna have to sell me" and the other says "Indy Coug we really want you bad" and shows you through a barrage of letters, emails, wining-dining, which company would you choose?

And remember these are 17-18 yo kids without the maturity to see through most of these games.

It's part of the game and Bronco knows it.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #8
Indy Coug

Quote:
Stop it with this stupid way of debating. Do you really think telling a recruit "we don't recruit you, you recruit us" is a better strategy than to wine and dine like every other program does?

Back to the job interview setting. If you're selecting between two jobs, everything else equal, and one hiring manager tells you "Indy Coug if you want to work here you're gonna have to sell me" and the other says "Indy Coug we really want you bad" and shows you through a barrage of letters, emails, wining-dining, which company would you choose?

And remember these are 17-18 yo kids without the maturity to see through most of these games.

It's part of the game and Bronco knows it.
You honestly think BYU's recruiting tactics are a one way street of waiting for recruits to initiate contact with them and when and only when the recruit gives them their sales pitch on why they want to attend BYU will BYU extend the scholarship offer?

Is that why BYU doesn't offer sophomores and juniors? Is that why BYU hasn't introduced things like Junior Day? Is that why BYU doesn't send their coaches on road trips to make home visits?

Face it, your whole premise (or exUte's premise) is based on an inaccurate and incomplete representation of the BYU recruiting process.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:19 PM   #9
jay santos

Quote:
You honestly think BYU's recruiting tactics are a one way street of waiting for recruits to initiate contact with them and when and only when the recruit gives them their sales pitch on why they want to attend BYU will BYU extend the scholarship offer?

Is that why BYU doesn't offer sophomores and juniors? Is that why BYU hasn't introduced things like Junior Day? Is that why BYU doesn't send their coaches on road trips to make home visits?

Face it, your whole premise (or exUte's premise) is based on an inaccurate and incomplete representation of the BYU recruiting process.
You're not reading my posts. The premise that BYU doesn't recruit, recruits have to recruit BYU is probably completely false. It's a bunch of BS Bronco throws out there to pacify GA's and mullah fans (but also creates a stronger pull for a facet of the second tier recruits which is good).
Old 08-08-2008, 04:23 PM   #10
Indy Coug

Quote:
You're not reading my posts. The premise that BYU doesn't recruit, recruits have to recruit BYU is probably completely false. It's a bunch of BS Bronco throws out there to pacify GA's and mullah fans (but also creates a stronger pull for a facet of the second tier recruits which is good).
No, Bronco definitely has had recruits from time to time give him their sales pitch on why they want to come to BYU. I wish he had been around to ask Ben Olson this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Travel Bronco
Why do you want to come to BYU?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Olson
Because I was too slow to pull the trigger on UCLA, I was too dumb to get into Stanford, I wanted to stay out west and I figured BYU would be a pushover to get some playing time before my mission, after which I can re-evaluate my BCS school transfer options.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 08-08-2008 at 04:27 PM.