cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sarah Palin

it is stunning to me that Palin has a large constituency among Republicans.

Given how stupid, shallow, and inexperienced she is.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Care to provide a little context to your comments? Or did you just wake up this morning with Palin on the brain?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Palin has been in the news recently with her Tea Party speech, writing notes on her hand, and a disastrous interview on Fox News.

I like to believe that my fellow citizenry is intelligent, and not susceptible to mere red-meat from empty demagogues who barely understand the words coming from their mouths.

Palin makes me think I am wrong. We really are that empty and hollow, that a sneering hollow fool of a woman commands such a following.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/...ld-reagan.html
Old 02-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
Tex

Mmm, I disagree that she's stupid. I think Palin has a serious Dan Quayle problem. She seems like a fairly bright woman who just can't seem to quite figure out how to handle the national spotlight.

The notes-on-hand thing gave me a chuckle, but has been blown way out of proportion. The problem for me isn't that she needs a few notes, it's that writing them on your hand seems so unsophisticated. Certainly not presidential (I'm looking at you, Robert Gibbs).

But, that's why the crowd loves her. She's a populist, and an anti-aristocrat, and those things are in vogue right now.

Moreover, she drives the Left batty. That's enough for me to at least be a mild fan.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 02-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

As inarticulate as she is, I see no reason for any personal appeal. She's not a self-made person, she's not a whizkid, she's not a been-there, done-that. Is she speaking to the NASCAR crowd?

What's her appeal?

Unfortunately for me, she addresses certain issues which should be promoted by somebody more credible than she.

This is quite disappointing. As Nixon once said about a Supreme Court nominee, "mediocre people need representation too."
Old 02-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Mmm, I disagree that she's stupid. I think Palin has a serious Dan Quayle problem. She seems like a fairly bright woman who just can't seem to quite figure out how to handle the national spotlight.

The notes-on-hand thing gave me a chuckle, but has been blown way out of proportion. The problem for me isn't that she needs a few notes, it's that writing them on your hand seems so unsophisticated. Certainly not presidential (I'm looking at you, Robert Gibbs).

But, that's why the crowd loves her. She's a populist, and an anti-aristocrat, and those things are in vogue right now.

Moreover, she drives the Left batty. That's enough for me to at least be a mild fan.
But don't you want somebody articulate, bright and able to handle the spotlight. By having somebody without credibility, you also render some of the issues less credible. That's my chief complaint.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

What in the world gives you the sense that she is a "fairly bright woman?"

The notes on her hand, by the way, were to help her remember her 4 talking points when responding to pre-screened and pre-provided questions. The amusing thing isn't just that she wrote on her hand, but that she needed to write 4 points that she has repeated in virtually every speech she has given for 2 years.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

If she were physically unattractive, she would have zero following.

Imagine her intellect and rhetoric in Janet Reno's body.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If she were physically unattractive, she would have zero following.

Imagine her intellect and rhetoric in Janet Reno's body.
Bingo!
Old 02-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
But don't you want somebody articulate, bright and able to handle the spotlight. By having somebody without credibility, you also render some of the issues less credible. That's my chief complaint.
I'm with you on that, Arch. It's why I've never really been a huge Palin fan.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young