cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-2006, 09:51 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Honor Code as main reason for decline

I see the HC is one of the top in this poll. I read Goat's answer, and I understand his point. The main difference I see is where the decline started.

I see three periods.

First is mid 70's to early 90's. We dominated in this period due to technology advancement in the passing game and easy schedules.

Next is early 90's through 2001. We had great success in this period.

2002 to current. This is the decline.

So when you ask why the decline, I look at what happened 2002 - 2006.

If anyone agrees with this time period, but still claims HC is a main contributor, I say you're nuts, and I'd like you to answer a couple questions.

1. Which players did we lose during this time period due to HC and in what years? And how did that have more of an impact than during the 1992 - 2001 time period where we lost Jenkins, Gilford, Whalen, Dabney, Sexgate 1994 (can't remember the exact year but we lost 4-6 players)?

2. What evidence do you have that the HC is more strict? Which players were punished in the 2002 - 2006 time period for offenses that would have gone unpunished in previous time period? Remember Gilford got one year for stealing <$100 stuff out of BYU lockers. Dabney got booted for the same but at a shop at the mall. Jenkins got booted for sex with his girlfriend.

Bottom line, this has become the favorite excuse for Crowton/Bronco homers but I don't think it flies.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote