cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2006, 04:44 PM   #1
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The LDS leadership bribe.

How often have you heard a story about a man being called to a position of leadership in the church, even though he wasn't active or wasn't living the WOW or something else?

I have one example in my family, and now a new example that I will tell you about in a minute.

My family example is pretty simple. My G-paw was LDS, but not living right. One day the stake president shows up at the local bar on a sunday morning. Calls my G to be the local bishop. He stubbed out his Cig, dumped his drink, and showed up for duty. He never (as the family story is told) returned to any of those vices.

I hadn't heard any such story since old'n days, so I was wondering if the church still did this sort of thing.

Last night Faith got a call from a good friend of ours. The woman is LDS, and the hubby is not. He is a drinker and an agnostic to the core. The friend tells Faith that they were called in to speak to the Stake Pres., who tells the man, "I have received word from God that you are supposed to be the Bishop of your local ward." He replied, "I drink and I am agnostic, so no thank you."

Interesting.

Anyone else hear of any such stories?
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, Alma the Younger.

Paul.

Etc.

Our current stake patriarch, before he was baptized, threw his last cigarette butt into the bushes right before he was baptized.

I helped reactivate a guy on my mission. Alcoholic. Called to be a Sunday School President. "But I drink". "No one is perfect."

Frankly I don't believe that a Stake President would call a non-member to be a Bishop, but whatever, its your "story".
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
How often have you heard a story about a man being called to a position of leadership in the church, even though he wasn't active or wasn't living the WOW or something else?

I have one example in my family, and now a new example that I will tell you about in a minute.

My family example is pretty simple. My G-paw was LDS, but not living right. One day the stake president shows up at the local bar on a sunday morning. Calls my G to be the local bishop. He stubbed out his Cig, dumped his drink, and showed up for duty. He never (as the family story is told) returned to any of those vices.

I hadn't heard any such story since old'n days, so I was wondering if the church still did this sort of thing.

Last night Faith got a call from a good friend of ours. The woman is LDS, and the hubby is not. He is a drinker and an agnostic to the core. The friend tells Faith that they were called in to speak to the Stake Pres., who tells the man, "I have received word from God that you are supposed to be the Bishop of your local ward." He replied, "I drink and I am agnostic, so no thank you."

Interesting.

Anyone else hear of any such stories?
Here's a more interesting angle to that issue.

Take two people.

One is inactive, sinning, drinking, whatever, he's called to bishop, he repents and does many wonderful things in the church over his last 20 years of life and dies strong in the gospel.

Another is inactive, sinning, drinking, whatever, and is never called to bishop. He spends his last 20 years adding to his own misery and those around him. BUT had he been called as a bishop, he would have undergone the same change. Will this man be rewarded the same in heaven?

Last edited by jay santos; 08-10-2006 at 05:10 PM.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:06 PM   #4
Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
Frankly I don't believe that a Stake President would call a non-member to be a Bishop, but whatever, its your "story".
Faith took the call, and I may have gotten some of the details wrong, but that is definitely the gist of the story. Calling a non-member is what makes the story so remarkable, and that is definitely the factual part of the story. And the couple in question are GOOD friends, and some of the most decent people we know. I have no reason to doubt them, and if you knew this guy, you would agree that he walks talks and acts like a Bishop already. It doesn't surprise me at all that the stake president would drool over the posibility of this guy serving.

And wasn't Saul a nonmember?
Old 08-10-2006, 05:10 PM   #5
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
And wasn't Saul a nonmember?
There are a few requirements, protocols, procedures, etc that must be filled before a bishop is extended a calling and accepts one.

One of those requirements is church membership.

I call bull shit.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:14 PM   #6
Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
There are a few requirements, protocols, procedures, etc that must be filled before a bishop is extended a calling and accepts one.

One of those requirements is church membership.

I call bull shit.
Dude!

I dont' think he was 'called.' I think he was being invited to join the church in prep to be groomed for the call. I don't think they were going to wave the temple rec. part, and that would require membership for at least one year before he could be annointed Bishop.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #7
Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
Yes, Alma the Younger.

Paul.

Etc.
Neither were LDS.

I'm more interested in post-JS examples.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:18 PM   #8
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Dude!

I dont' think he was 'called.' I think he was being invited to join the church in prep to be groomed for the call. I don't think they were going to wave the temple rec. part, and that would require membership for at least one year before he could be annointed Bishop.
So they were 'inviting' him to be the bishop after he fulfilled the requirememts?

Were they going to reserve his seat until he fulfilled his church 'obligations?'

I can see an over zealous Stake President putting his foot in his mouth and saying something like, 'you would be a great bishop,' 'you will be a great member someday,' etc, but I don't see one saying God revealed to me you are to be the bishop of your ward, so let's get you baptized, let's get you the priesthood, let's make sure you remain active, let's get you to the temple, let's get you sealed, let's make you a high priest, and afterwards you will receive your calling.

Who knows though? Crazier things have happened.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:08 PM   #9
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

No, the story doesn't surprise me at all. Certainly out of the ordinary, but not unheard of.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:20 PM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Memo to self: Must re-think current strategy of avoiding high-level church callings.