cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2006, 09:34 PM   #1
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Departed

The new movie 'The Departed' starring Jack Nicholson, Leo Dicaprio, Mark Wahlberg, Matt Damon, etc is getting some smokin' reviews to the tune of 92% positive critics review from Rotten Tomatoes. I am planning on seeing it Saturday night but I was hoping someone would be seeing it beforehand...if so, post your review. Thanks.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:44 PM   #2
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
The new movie 'The Departed' starring Jack Nicholson, Leo Dicaprio, Mark Wahlberg, Matt Damon, etc is getting some smokin' reviews to the tune of 92% positive critics review from Rotten Tomatoes. I am planning on seeing it Saturday night but I was hoping someone would be seeing it beforehand...if so, post your review. Thanks.
I'll be seeing it tonight, but won't get on again until Monday.

I'm stoked, Ebert and Roeper loved the film and the reviews look solid. I was unaware it's based off of an Asian film.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:50 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I can't wait to see it. As I have said before, this is my favorite genre (mob movies).
Old 10-08-2006, 02:05 PM   #4
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I just saw 'The Departed' last night and it was fabulous. Seriously...terrific movie. All of the acting was very good, but some stood out:

Mark Wahlberg was great. Very funny, very crude and interesting. Though we didn't get to know his character too much, he did a good job in his role.

Leo--man, he stepped up and was great as well. You felt for his character and you cheered him on.

Matt Damon--man, seriously, does this guy ever pick bad roles and for all the roles he does take, he does great with them.

Jack Nicholson was solid (he was not his normal over the top self but still intense)...and the two characters that played the shrink and Frenchie were both believable.

The story is difficult at times in terms of language and violence but the show keeps your attention. Well done and I will watch it again sooner rather than later.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:21 PM   #5
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I watched it this weekend and literally felt sick as I walked out. I felt real empty as if I had just wasted two hours of my time hoping for a fantastic finish but getting a kick in the groin instead.

Few things from the film:

-Fearless and this film are the best movies I've seen this year and I don't think it is even close. Little Miss Sunshine was great but I am getting tired of the low budget coming to life film.

-Leo was amazing. I thought he was by far the best actor in the movie. Sheen and Wahlberg were also amazing. There might be too many good performances to get all the actors the nominations they deserve.

-The ending was difficult and it smelt of an Eastern film.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:48 PM   #6
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
-The ending was difficult and it smelt of an Eastern film.
it should, it's a remake of an Eastern film.