cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2006, 01:53 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If North Korea nuked Japan...

...what we do?

Do we use our own nukes? Do we go wholesale, or tactical?

Do we support a Japanese ground invasion through the air and our forces in South Korea?

It's horrendous to even think about. From what I understand our guys in S. Korea are nothing more than a garrison force. If NK attacked with their full strength, it would be very lucky, and our forces would need to be supplemented immediately.

China is very worried, because North Korea gives Japan every excuse to rapidly expand their military. And Japan would be foolish to not do so.

Freaking "sunshine policy" in South Korea. These guys really piss me off. We put our guys on the line for them, and they don't even want us there. We should fall back to Japan. And let South Korea know they are responsible themselves for all the sunshine that NK sounds down to them.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:14 AM   #2
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

We probably use nukes. We definitely hit them in the chin and then follow it up with ground forces, over the strong objections of China.

I think the regime in Pyongyang would never do such a thing because it seems that their only goal is survival.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:57 PM   #3
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
We probably use nukes. We definitely hit them in the chin and then follow it up with ground forces, over the strong objections of China.

I think the regime in Pyongyang would never do such a thing because it seems that their only goal is survival.
I agree, but then again I thought Saddam's survival instincts would have kept him in power when he had a chance to.

I believe more every day that we need to begin to withdraw from Iraq so we can face other challenges. Our goal in Iraq was to stop an Iraqi regime from having and using WMD. Mission accomplished.

At this point (derailing now) I think we need to either pick a side in the ongoing civil war or just let them fight it. I know we will have egg all over our face but I have come to believe that until Islam becomes more modern and moderate (as Christianity did through the reformation and elightenment), muslims simply will not want liberty.

So lets focus on battles we at least have a chance to win.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:25 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Bush et al. stopped using "stay the course" because it was becoming obvious that it implied a marriage to a failing, unchanging strategy.

We have committed significant resources to quell the violence in Baghdad and it is clear that we are failing. It is clear that the generals are saying "this isn't working, what the hell are we doing?"

I am disturbed that Arlen Specter has said we shouldn't wait until after the election to change our tactics. This implies that the president is playing a political game, not wanting to admit that we are doing poorly, purely for political gain. Of course, one could argue that Bush sees winning the election as the most important step in winning the war. At this point, it is not clear what winning is, and not clear how to get there.

I am encouraged that we are finally giving the Iraqi govt. a timetable (though the white house denies this). It's time for the Iraqis to grow up and realize that the govt. is not just a way to skim money and kill your enemies.

What is really sad is how the good people that are there are suffering. I can only imagine how terrible it is.

Democracy at the end of a gun barrel--I suspect it will be a long time before we try this again.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote