cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 03:38 AM   #1
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road
Default Missionary double date

My wife and I were at In-N-Out in Las Vegas this morning. There were two Elders sitting with two Sisters enjoying a nice burger and some good conversation. I wanted to crack some joke about that being a double date, but I was afraid they would want to hang around and talk to us (we were in a hurry to get back home this morning). A couple of things came to mind. 1. Did we all look that nerdy as missionaries? One of the Sisters skipped to the counter to get her food. Both Elders had goofy grins on their faces the whole time. 2. My mission must have been really strict because there was no way we could be seen in public with the Sisters. Riding in a car was even worse. 3. Mission cars have gotten nicer. They were driving a new Mazda. 4. I never thought I'd see the day when the Sister missionaries looked like they were way too cute to be on missions. What ever happened to the uglies that used to go?
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:52 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
My wife and I were at In-N-Out in Las Vegas this morning. There were two Elders sitting with two Sisters enjoying a nice burger and some good conversation. I wanted to crack some joke about that being a double date, but I was afraid they would want to hang around and talk to us (we were in a hurry to get back home this morning). A couple of things came to mind. 1. Did we all look that nerdy as missionaries? One of the Sisters skipped to the counter to get her food. Both Elders had goofy grins on their faces the whole time. 2. My mission must have been really strict because there was no way we could be seen in public with the Sisters. Riding in a car was even worse. 3. Mission cars have gotten nicer. They were driving a new Mazda. 4. I never thought I'd see the day when the Sister missionaries looked like they were way too cute to be on missions. What ever happened to the uglies that used to go?
1. Yes.

2. There was no mission rule like that in my mission, but most of the Sisters were the bane of my existence as a DL, ZL and AP. I made very little effort to hang out with them.

3. We drove Alfa Romeos in my mission, specifically the Giulietta. That model over here was called a Milano.

4. There were a few Sisters in my mission that were very attractive. They were the Italian Sisters.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:57 AM   #3
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
I agree that Elders/Sisters are generally pretty dorky looking. I didn't feel dorky back then but when I get my pictures out and look at them I think "what a dork!".

During my mission, the sisters couldn't serve in towns out in the jungle. Thus - they all got stuck in the city. 10 sisters in a zone all by themselves. My companion and I were the Zone Leaders. We hung out with the sisters all the time - interviewing their baptismal candidates, going to their apartment to unclog their hair-clogged sinks, fixing their stupid electric fans, etc.

I think more girls go on missions today than did in the "olden days" - thus more cute ones. I know one thing, the sisters in my mission sure looked a heck of a lot cuter at the end of two years than they did at the beginning.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:38 PM   #4
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

I think the new dress code for sisters--dark business suits--is a huge improvement. No woman looks cute in a baggy jumper, flesh colored knee-highs and scuffed up Mary Janes. Danimal's dad was a mission president in France and we visited them once. If it wasn't for the nametags, I might've thought the sisters were homeless.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

as my former comp said:

There are two kinds of sister missionaries: Ugly ones, and pretty ones that are messed up. Avoid both.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:13 PM   #6
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Snoozing in RS was a sister missionary. And she was (and is) hot, but she wasn't crazy. In fact, she's the only sister missionary I've ever heard of who was a district leader.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:24 PM   #7
marsupial

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
as my former comp said:

There are two kinds of sister missionaries: Ugly ones, and pretty ones that are messed up. Avoid both.
If you are willing to go on a mission when you are under no obligation to go, you're probably a little nuts. (Snoozing in RS as an exception, of course.)

The same theory applies to Catholic priests. A vow of celibacy doesn't make you a sexual deviant, but if you are willing to make a one you were probably already pretty weird in that arena.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:43 PM   #8
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

7 years ago when digital cameras were not as common as you see today, I was one of the few elders in my mission to have one. Other missionaries liked to borrow my camera and take photos, so they could immediately look at them on the little screen.

Sometimes, the result would be an elder and a sister on a date in the sisters' apartment, getting cozy on the couch, switching nametags, taking self-portraits and forgetting to erase their photos.

ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:50 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

crow's feet and bags under her eyes at 23? Not a good sign.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:05 PM   #10
marsupial

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
crow's feet and bags under her eyes at 23? Not a good sign.
Yeah, but she's cute. I didn't know Ute4Ever went on his mission so late