cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 04:21 AM   #1
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Harry Potter - I didn't understand 5 minutes of that movie

I saw the new Harry Potter flick last night. I wish I had that 2 hours of my life back. I would rather have been working. Having not seen any of the previous movies nor having read any of the books, I was clueless and lost the whole time. Every once in a while, a pocket of nerds three rows back and a few other people would explode into laughter, and I had no idea what they were laughing at. I found myself hoping that something bad would happen to Harry and his gang.

I guess if I had read some of the books, it might have been more meaningful, but the truth is, I just don't care.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:14 AM   #2
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Go watch Transformers instead. It is simply awesome.
Saw it last weekend, and I really enjoyed it. I took my 3 boys, and every time I would look over at them, my little 7 year old was on the edge of his seat. It was fun watching him.

Also saw the new Die Hard last week. I would say out of the 4 Die Hard movies, it's the third best, behind the original and With A Vengeance.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:19 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
I saw the new Harry Potter flick last night. I wish I had that 2 hours of my life back. I would rather have been working. Having not seen any of the previous movies nor having read any of the books, I was clueless and lost the whole time. Every once in a while, a pocket of nerds three rows back and a few other people would explode into laughter, and I had no idea what they were laughing at. I found myself hoping that something bad would happen to Harry and his gang.

I guess if I had read some of the books, it might have been more meaningful, but the truth is, I just don't care.
What's there to understand, really? It started out as a bunch of snot-nosed little bastards learning to practice witchcraft and is now a bunch of punk teenagers honing their witchcraft skills.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:27 PM   #4
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

I haven't read any of the books, or seen any of the movies, but I am looking forward to the new book where Harry Potter and his wizard friends are sent to Hell for practicing witchcraft.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:43 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not certain I understand the criticisms.

If you don't enjoy fantasy, you won't enjoy it. If you do, you will.

If you follow the genre, what aspects of the current production fell beneath your expectations.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:59 PM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'm not a fan of Harry Potter becuase the stories never seem to have any real conflict or arc. Harry just always kicks ass start to finish. Nor does Harry have an Achilles heel or dark side. He's just a flat character. I understand appreciation of literature and cinema is to a large extent subjective, but I have no explanation for the enormous success of Harry Potter. But I felt the same way about Da Vinci Code.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:14 AM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I'm not a fan of Harry Potter becuase the stories never seem to have any real conflict or arc. Harry just always kicks ass start to finish. Nor does Harry have an Achilles heel or dark side. He's just a flat character. I understand appreciation of literature and cinema is to a large extent subjective, but I have no explanation for the enormous success of Harry Potter. But I felt the same way about Da Vinci Code.

Harry Potter is not deep, sophisticated literature, so it's highly unlikely, Seattle would enjoyn it. The characters are mostly flat, little variation. The bad ones are bad, and the good ones don't demonstrate equivocation or evil.

The appeal is simply this, as it's a tale of empowerment.

Many persons feel ordinary or subordinary.

It's a tale of an otherwise less than ordinary child, who in his own realm, is special and appreciated.

It then weaves a formulaic, but well-done for the genre, tale of magic, mystery and murder. It's done, not from a perspective of great literature, but from a perspective a populist. This can apply to any one, any loser. Many people can identify with that, especially children because all children experience doubts.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:04 AM   #8
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Saw HP5 in IMAX 3D today (the wife is a big fan). The 3D part was fantastic. Not the crappy red/blue 3D but the polarized 3D in full color. Very nice.

I would say I'm a fan of the HP series seeing as how I've read all the books more than once and seen all the movies more than once (with the exception of this most recent one). It's odd that I like Harry Potter because I generally hate all kinds of fantasy (hated LOTR).
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:09 AM   #9
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:40 AM   #10
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

i saw the movie tonight. I have read all the books, and seen all the movies, but i wouldnt consider myself a huge fan, this is the first movie i had seen in the theatres, i usually wait until DVD, and i wait to read the books until my sister finishes them.

The movie was alright, not the best. I thought the beginning was slow, but it really picked up the last half hour.