cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 09:29 PM   #51
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
You would be left alone. Take Darfur for example. No oil, no response. If Darfur had oil, we'd be all over it.
thats why i mentioned the word "hopefully"
Old 07-31-2007, 09:29 PM   #52
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
so the innocent people should be humiliated, tormented ,intimidated and killed becuase they are guilty of having oil and might be (in infinte possibility) playing oil card on you ?? what a christ-like idealogy.

i really wish we hadnot had oil ,so we would have been left alone ..well hopefully.
Where do you jump to the conclusion I want innocent people humilaiated, tormented, intimidated and killed.

If someone is blackmailing me, I don't consider them innocent. I figure the vast majority of muslims are good people and if not led by the extremists would be as good a people as any group. I don't think the Germans were bad people, they just were manipulated by some very bad people.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:31 PM   #53
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Okay. Did you have a point to make in regards to the cease-fire agreement?
Well, answer the question first.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:33 PM   #54
Mindfulcoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I don't think that supposition is supported by the evidence, but the outcome is not yet decided. We shall see.

If "you" didn't have oil, "you" wouldn't have been able to fund terrorism and thus wouldn't have been as great a threat to "us"
so what Pakistan and Afghanistan fund terrorisms with ??
Old 07-31-2007, 09:35 PM   #55
Mindfulcoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Where do you jump to the conclusion I want innocent people humilaiated, tormented, intimidated and killed.

If someone is blackmailing me, I don't consider them innocent. I figure the vast majority of muslims are good people and if not led by the extremists would be as good a people as any group. I don't think the Germans were bad people, they just were manipulated by some very bad people.
but the usa presence is having horrendous effect on people ,who would take the responsibility of that?
Old 07-31-2007, 09:37 PM   #56
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

If oil is the main problem, I suggest we use our resources to find an alternative. Take the billions of dollars we spend on wars and fund research. We've reached peak oil. Supplies are limited. If you want to hurt the Middle East, stop buying their oil. We have enough oil to last a very long time if we don't have to use it for energy.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:38 PM   #57
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
but the usa presence is having horrendous effect on people ,who would take the responsibility of that?
Convince me that there wouldn't be horrendous effects going on the people if we weren't there and I could be persuaded I want us out.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:40 PM   #58
Mindfulcoug

Quote:
If oil is the main problem, I suggest we use our resources to find an alternative. Take the billions of dollars we spend on wars and fund research. We've reached peak oil. Supplies are limited. If you want to hurt the Middle East, stop buying their oil. We have enough oil to last a very long time if we don't have to use it for energy.
well ,to tell you the truth ,Isreal talks first and oil comes next!
Old 07-31-2007, 09:42 PM   #59
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Well, answer the question first.
I did. You said I was incorrect. Why don't you enlighten me?
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:47 PM   #60
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
so what Pakistan and Afghanistan fund terrorisms with ??
I'm not familiar with exactly where Afghanistan and Pakistan get their money, but Osama bin Laden (who took advantage of the former's hospitality pre-9/11, and the latter's ineptitude post-9/11), is funded by Saudi oil money.

Quote:
The supposed oil bust is a red herring. I worked for Exxon for a brief time, and there's plenty of oil for the forseeable future. Not all of it has been harvested or refined, but it's there.

Nonetheless, you won't get me to argue that more reliance on domestic oil resources is a bad thing. Will you support opening ANWR? The Atlantic Outer Continental Shelf?

Alternative fuels show promise, but until something is as efficient as oil, no amount of research will force change. It has to be economically viable and we can't ignore our defense needs in the meantime. Even were a miracle energy source discovered tomorrow, the transition would be gargantuan, on an order one can barely wrap one's head around.

Moreover, it would not necessarily solve the rest of the world's oil dependency.

In short, while a potential loooong term solution, it does nothing to solve our interim problems, with Iran or with anyone else. Putting your head in the sand will not make foreign terrorists go away.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote