cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 06:24 PM   #1
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick
Default Home Teaching

Just thought everyone should know....

I love being a Home Teacher....

I have 5 families. Have had one for 5 years and one for 3 years. The other 3 are all new.....

The 2 families that I have had for the longest are our 2 best friend families now. Didn't know them from Adam when they were assigned to me. But now we have dinners together, hang out together, and help parent together.

Other 3 folks wont let me in. But I try every month.

I don't know why some folks have issues with it.

I have issues with lots of things, but being a HT is sweet.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:23 AM   #2
Nobody Special

Nobody Special

I go to church every week and dread the home teachers coming over. And I have a decent home teachers. I'd just as soon not be bothered by them.

I guess that the reason most people don't like them coming over is because about 90% of them come on the last day of the month. And that tells most people that you are there to get your stats in. But, then that might just be a guess.

You are a rare breed when it comes to home teaching, too bad that the other 90% of us don't have your enthusiasm about it.

Go Cougars!
Nobody Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:29 AM   #3
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

The other day I saw my home teacher at the Circle K. We chatted about work for a minute while in line. Then he said, "consider yourself home taught for the month."
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:10 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default For some reason...

I'm not a home teacher. Perhaps it's because I was involved in YM at a Stake level (President) for about 3 years and am now involved in YM in my ward (secretary)? Whatever the reason, I'm neither offended nor hurt that I'm not a home teacher.

Like Nobody Special (love that moniker, btw), I'd rather not be bothered by my home teachers - not so much because I wonder about their sincerity in my family's well being - they show up during the middle part of the month - but because I don't want to be bothered.

They always ask if things are well or if there is anything they can do to help and my answer is always "Yes, things are good and no, there's nothing I need from you." Even if things were bad and life sucked, I wouldn't tell them, as I'm a private person and very, very few people need to know what's going on in my life. I'm one of those who would just rather not be bothered by anyone at anytime.

My motto: Do your thing and I'll do mine. If you need something, ask and I'll be happy to do what I can to help. Don't ask if I need anything because it's none of you're damn business.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:28 AM   #5
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: For some reason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
My motto: Do your thing and I'll do mine. If you need something, ask and I'll be happy to do what I can to help. Don't ask if I need anything because it's none of you're damn business.
Man, you are an island.

I have similar feelings, which causes significant differences of opinion with Mrs. myboynoah on occasion (she's very social and ever offering assistance to others).

As for the HTs, I don't mind them coming over. Ours is an Italian immigrant and his son. Very animated (the father that is, the son just sits there like I used to), so it can break up a dull Sunday afternoon. Also, since so many things in our Ward don't work, its nice to show my kids that there is something here that does.

My only beef is that the local culture seems to dictate that visits must last more than an hour. :?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:02 PM   #6
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm not a home teacher. Perhaps it's because I was involved in YM at a Stake level (President) for about 3 years and am now involved in YM in my ward (secretary)? Whatever the reason, I'm neither offended nor hurt that I'm not a home teacher.

Like Nobody Special (love that moniker, btw), I'd rather not be bothered by my home teachers - not so much because I wonder about their sincerity in my family's well being - they show up during the middle part of the month - but because I don't want to be bothered.

They always ask if things are well or if there is anything they can do to help and my answer is always "Yes, things are good and no, there's nothing I need from you." Even if things were bad and life sucked, I wouldn't tell them, as I'm a private person and very, very few people need to know what's going on in my life. I'm one of those who would just rather not be bothered by anyone at anytime.

I thought I was the only one that felt this way. What I find incredibly lame about home teaching is that it's an assignment that has to be completed each month. I don't want somebody coming to my house and bugging me for half an hour just to fill some quota. I would feel better about it if home teachers weren't instructed to come every month. At least then if they came I wouldn't feel like they had ulterior motives.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:41 PM   #7
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
As for the HTs, I don't mind them coming over. Ours is an Italian immigrant and his son. Very animated (the father that is, the son just sits there like I used to), so it can break up a dull Sunday afternoon. Also, since so many things in our Ward don't work, its nice to show my kids that there is something here that does.
I miss France, I really do. That odd dinner appointment we had was wonderful. There's no way the one hour and done model could work, you would barely get through the first course and end up making more enemies than friends.

I don't mind home teaching ... of course often my assignments are to visit disenfranchised, bitter or very down on their luck souls and I find the visits are very rewarding. I feel like I’m actually helping people. I have no ulterior motives, I report because I am asked and I visit when I can visit.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:59 PM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

[quote="myboynoah"]
Quote:
Man, you are an island.
I admit that I am an island. I don't know if I'd call myself anti-social - I just don't like to be bothered. If I thought I could support my family, I'd live in an area with no neighbors. I really don't mind helping folks out if they need it, but the truth is, I don't like letting people know my situation.

If you want to see your home teacher get really excited - in a positive way - the next time he visits, ask him about Paolo Rossi and the '82 World Cup. You'll see animated Italian behavior at it's best.

BTW, what work do you do that causes you to live in Paris? I'd rather ask my neighbors for help.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:27 PM   #9
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If you want to see your home teacher get really excited - in a positive way - the next time he visits, ask him about Paolo Rossi and the '82 World Cup. You'll see animated Italian behavior at it's best.

BTW, what work do you do that causes you to live in Paris? I'd rather ask my neighbors for help.
I'll try that. This guy has his quirks (hey, what Italians don't?), but the family is active and strong. One odd thing, Mrs. myboynoah was talking to him and his wife at church the other day about their three sons and missions and they basically said that two years is too long for Italian and French sons to be away. Hence, they are not encouraging them. The whole two-year mission thing is okay for Americans because our culture is that way. :shock:

Anybody think those boys are going on missions?

As for my vocation, I have what a Northern Utah farmer once referred to as "one of them gov'ment jobs." I work out of the Embassy helping U.S. firms export to France.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:38 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

That he thinks two years is too long doesn't surprise me too much, though when I was in Italy, there were a rather significant number of native Italians serving in the three missions. In my mission (Catania) there was at any given time no less than 15 Elders and 8 Sisters who were from Italy. Of course, I am also from that generation of missionaries who were called for 18 months, so perhaps the Italian brother you know would be ok with that. Also, all but 2 missionaries was the only member of the Church in his or her family.

It sounds like you have an interesting job. Do you need an assistant? I'd even be willing to live in Paris to get something else. Being self-employed has it's pluses, but I'm starting to get more headaches from having to make all the decisions.