cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2007, 02:32 AM   #1
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road
Default No Country for Old Men

I saw it tonight and enjoyed it. I thought it had a "Fargo" feel to it which was another Coen movie that I enjoyed. Javier Bardem and Josh Brolin were great in this picture. I kept wondering why I hadn't seen this Bardem guy in any other movies before because his part really stood out.

Last edited by RC Vikings; 12-02-2007 at 02:52 AM.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 03:25 PM   #2
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

The previews look awesome. If it's alot like Fargo, I don't know if I'll be raving about it, but I'll definitely give it a shot. I'm reading the book right now, it's very enjoyable.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:06 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I caught the matinee today. It was awesome.

Since I read the book fairly recently, I can't comment on how suspenseful or compelling the plot is. I knew what was coming at every turn. Yet, it was still quite riveting. And nobody does characters and dialog like the Coen brothers. That alone makes the movie a pleasure to watch. Lots of great acting all around, but I loved Tommy Lee Jones.

Highly recommended.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I liked it...great acting, interesting storyline. It is not for the faint of heart. It is not much like Fargo--it is more like the Coen's "Millers Crossing."

This movie was dark, difficult and tough. The first 10 minutes is spooky...the rest of it is edge of your seat type of stuff. I liked it, quite a bit and I am not sure why because there is little moral point and little point besides that--but great acting and story.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I liked it. I had really high hopes as Fargo is probably in my top 5 all time and I was hoping for a movie like Fargo. This story was more limited. Darker. More evil bad guy. More serious. Slower.

A good flick. Maybe in my top 10 of the year but not any higher than that.

Good but not great.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:29 AM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I finally saw this. The worst thing I can say about this movie is that the book is better. Even so, it's about as faithful a reproduction of a novel as a movie could be. McCarthy's writing is so cinematic that the book is kind of like a movie. I liked it when Chigur fixed himself up after he was shot. One thing McCarthy does so well in a kind of quiet way is describe improvised manual labor in desperate situations, and I thought the film caught that. I liked the movie a lot, but as much as I love McCarthy I think Blood Simple is still my top Cohen Bros. flick.

It did occur to me that there's a big plot hole, however. If the guy had $2 million cash, and there was a time when Chigur couldn't find him, why didn't he just take his wife and drive to Tierra del fuego, or fly there, carrying the cash as carry on. Why stick around where Chigur might find you? Was he just that stupid?

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 01-19-2008 at 04:31 AM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:03 AM   #7
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I finally saw this. The worst thing I can say about this movie is that the book is better. Even so, it's about as faithful a reproduction of a novel as a movie could be. McCarthy's writing is so cinematic that the book is kind of like a movie. I liked it when Chigur fixed himself up after he was shot. One thing McCarthy does so well in a kind of quiet way is describe improvised manual labor in desperate situations, and I thought the film caught that. I liked the movie a lot, but as much as I love McCarthy I think Blood Simple is still my top Cohen Bros. flick.

It did occur to me that there's a big plot hole, however. If the guy had $2 million cash, and there was a time when Chigur couldn't find him, why didn't he just take his wife and drive to Tierra del fuego, or fly there, carrying the cash as carry on. Why stick around where Chigur might find you? Was he just that stupid?
I enjoy the twisted morality of McCarthy's villains. Chigur goes back and kills the wife for no other reason that he said he would when he has nothing to gain by it. Very Judge-esc.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I finally saw the film.

My first impression was that it was a very good film, with great acting, great writing, great cinematography, but that I felt the film had not hit the "larger universal metaphysical point" that the Coen brothers intended.

But after getting home, and thinking about it a little more, I took in a different lesson. Ebert describes the film as a kind of study of evil. I disagree. I think it is a study of death. A take that is a kind of pessimistic existentialism.

[spoiler alert]

When Lewellyn dies, the scene is not depicted. And the reason is that the Coen brothers did not want to take away from the true climax of the film, which was the moment the Sherriff is looking at the broken lock of the motel door, and must make a decision. Will he cross the threshold and face death (personified by Chugr), or will he walk away and leave it alone?

It seems to me the filmmakers have created an allegory. We are all Lewellyn with the 2 million dollars, hoping to make out like bandits. And death comes for us, relentlessly. "It doesn't have to be this way." "Everyone always says that." Death is coming, and yes, it has to be that way. And no mere mortal may extend his hand, and stop its march.

I liked the film. It didn't pack the punch that I would have wished. But I appreciate this kind of filmmaking, even if it wasn't perfect.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #9
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I finally saw the film.

My first impression was that it was a very good film, with great acting, great writing, great cinematography, but that I felt the film had not hit the "larger universal metaphysical point" that the Coen brothers intended.

But after getting home, and thinking about it a little more, I took in a different lesson. Ebert describes the film as a kind of study of evil. I disagree. I think it is a study of death. A take that is a kind of pessimistic existentialism.

[spoiler alert]

When Lewellyn dies, the scene is not depicted. And the reason is that the Coen brothers did not want to take away from the true climax of the film, which was the moment the Sherriff is looking at the broken lock of the motel door, and must make a decision. Will he cross the threshold and face death (personified by Chugr), or will he walk away and leave it alone?

It seems to me the filmmakers have created an allegory. We are all Lewellyn with the 2 million dollars, hoping to make out like bandits. And death comes for us, relentlessly. "It doesn't have to be this way." "Everyone always says that." Death is coming, and yes, it has to be that way. And no mere mortal may extend his hand, and stop its march.

I liked the film. It didn't pack the punch that I would have wished. But I appreciate this kind of filmmaking, even if it wasn't perfect.
Good review. Gave me a new insight to the book as well.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Good review. Gave me a new insight to the book as well.
SU just mentally filed away my review so that he can sound smart at his next cheese party. A good review is the next best thing to actually seeing the movie or reading the book.

What we take away is a mirror of ourselves.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote