cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 07:13 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The anatomy of a bonk, don't try this at home:

leave it to the unProfessionals.

As a preface was race week, so I supposedly rest with LSD. However, hearing of Viking's abilities, left me worried that I was behind. So the plan was slow at beginning of week and three hard longish rides, fifty, ninety and then seventy.

Yesterday was bad from the beginning, pump tire, it blows up like a gun shot. Ride a few miles and wheel falls off, almost causing a death crash. Nonetheless I plug ahead. Within last three miles tire pops again, but I ride the deflated tire home. Glad Friday's over.

Saturday.

Wake up twenty minutes, skip morning meal. Feel groggy and dehydrated, but hey, it's only ninety LSD.

Plugging along slowly but surely, feeling sick. Vomit on side of road. Okay got that done with, move on.

It's 96, windy and alone. Going through bottles faster than normal. Keep heart low, or at least trying. Bouncing around lake, come to four mile climb and keep it easy. No signs of things to come.

Shoot around next fifteen miles and come to the up and down lake ride. Refuel.

No warning, but something doesn't feel right. Coming to the second time of climb, I feel, the BONK. No energy, sweat pouring down face, heart rate over two hundred, and fearing, "how the hell ma I climbing four miiles in this condition?"

I place it in low gear, and hope to hell I can spin up the hill. Worried. Heart rate at 219, sweat blinding eyes, GI distress, nobody around. Bike weaving, but I grind ahead, believing I might be stronger if I don't die, which I wish I could. Suddenly, strange muscle convulsions on inside of legs strike me. Where are the endurolytes? At home, great genius.

Some how after almost twice the time of the normal climb, I barely reach the top, cars whizzing by, and I role to fueling station. Stumble around, get water, heart rate racing, food not staying down. Twenty miles to go, how to get home.

Hoping to soft pedal home but still have four short climbs left, with longest just over mile. This is not fun.

Make it within eight miles of home, wife calls, begins to wonder why I'm not home, she's away doing a race. Those who've been there know the last thing a bonked rider wishes to do is to "discuss" with wife why you're not home. In melodramatic fashion, this is life and death. Hang up.

Slide home, baring missing a few cars to take me out of my misery. Reach home. Can't wait to get off bike. Slowest ninety in the history of humanity.

Rehydrate and sit and think how to avoid next time. Plan ride for tomorrow.

So goes the life of a wannabe.

Hope yours was not like mine. I don't know how Miking Viking's wheel will be possible and LOTOJA classic looks like a pipe dream.

Heart rate still high, but lowering.

Last edited by Archaea; 07-14-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:30 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Brother Arch, take care out there. You push too hard, perhaps. Of course, I am your antithesis and that doenn't work so well either.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:58 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

wow, I'm surprised your heart rate can reach 220. I don't think that's normal.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:41 AM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
wow, I'm surprised your heart rate can reach 220. I don't think that's normal.
I did not know this as well. It did not feel good. It felt as if my heart and throat were popping out of my body.

I don't recommend it.

Perhaps people can describe some of their bonks. I have a couple, and after I recollect my senses I'll write some up.

I went to the movies with the boys only to have my leg muscles spasm.

What to do tomorro?

110 degree heat coupled with lack of sodium and adequate hygdration and rest probably forced that high. Usually 190 something is my high.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:54 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I think if you ever reach that state again, you should stop riding. I'm guessing your heart was not pumping effectively, meaning that the stroke volume was messed up, maybe because of dehydration, etc.

People actually die once in a while when they overexert. Esp. with electrolytes out of whack, leading to cardiac arrest.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:55 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I've never had a spectacular bonk. Sorry. Just the boring ones where I couldn't ride as fast.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:08 AM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think if you ever reach that state again, you should stop riding. I'm guessing your heart was not pumping effectively, meaning that the stroke volume was messed up, maybe because of dehydration, etc.

People actually die once in a while when they overexert. Esp. with electrolytes out of whack, leading to cardiac arrest.
It is a difficult choice, being twenty miles out in the desert. If I were with a friend, I could be fifty miles from town. The wind slowed my progress.

Unfortunately when one is experiencing you can't think or function clearly.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:38 AM   #8
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

A numbver of eyars ago, before heart rate monitors, I was trying to lose weight and had been riding a lot so I got up one hot summer morning and rode as hard as I could without having anythink to eat. I didn't feel that great from the get go and after about 25-30 miles I got really sick, lost all strength, heart was racing and pounding and mouth was cottony and my vision was blured. It came on sudden.y and it was all I could do to pull over and apvide just falling down, I got off my bike and just let it fall as I staggered to some shade and just sat there. I was in the middle of nowhere and had no food. I sat there for about 30-45 minutes until I got some strngth and got back on my bikle and struggled home. It took me about 2-3 days to get back to normal. In fact, as I think about it, you should be careful arch, cause that was a bad thing.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:45 AM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
A numbver of eyars ago, before heart rate monitors, I was trying to lose weight and had been riding a lot so I got up one hot summer morning and rode as hard as I could without having anythink to eat. I didn't feel that great from the get go and after about 25-30 miles I got really sick, lost all strength, heart was racing and pounding and mouth was cottony and my vision was blured. It came on sudden.y and it was all I could do to pull over and apvide just falling down, I got off my bike and just let it fall as I staggered to some shade and just sat there. I was in the middle of nowhere and had no food. I sat there for about 30-45 minutes until I got some strngth and got back on my bikle and struggled home. It took me about 2-3 days to get back to normal. In fact, as I think about it, you should be careful arch, cause that was a bad thing.
I was wondering what to do tomorrow, because it was bad.

The ride normally takes me four hours and thirty minutes. It took me five hours and thirty minutes.

So should I soft pedal tomorrow, or run my usual ten to twelve? I was afraid if somebody saw me they might think I was pedalling like a pussy. I did not stop except to refuel. It was a horrific feeling though. All power from legs was gone. It seems as I need a tricycle, not a bicycle.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:58 AM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

At the hotter than hell last year, it was the hottest it was in a long time. Some of the stops had no cold drinks/water nor ice.

People were scattered on the side of the road under what few trees there were growing at the fence line, all up and down the course. It was ugly. I felt like hell, but didn't bonk