cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 03:17 AM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Watching part 2

I have been impressed with Marlin Jensen and Senator Bob Bennett. They were both well spoken.

I also really liked the portion on Hurricane Katrina. It made me feel awfully guilty that I didn't take the opportunity to go down with my stake last year to help with the cleanup.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:27 AM   #2
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I have been impressed with Marlin Jensen and Senator Bob Bennett. They were both well spoken.

I also really liked the portion on Hurricane Katrina. It made me feel awfully guilty that I didn't take the opportunity to go down with my stake last year to help with the cleanup.
I definitely liked part I better, but part II had some nice moments. On the flip side, the kid who said, "you go, you go, you go, you just go, you go, you just go," or something pretty close to that was slightly on the inarticulate side. Was there no other recently returned missionary that could articulate using more than three mono-syllabic words that there is cultural and theological pressure to serve a mission?
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:43 AM   #3
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road
Default Mormon terrorists

What about the guy that said if his mission president had told him to strap a bomb to his chest he would have? Yikes. I don't care how anti you are now, why would you say something like that?

I loved the African-American convert, Betty Stevenson, talking about the "Most preposterous story about a white boy, a dead angel and some gold plates." Where did they find her? She was awesome.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:46 AM   #4
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
What about the guy that said if his mission president had told him to strap a bomb to his chest he would have? Yikes. I don't care how anti you are now, why would you say something like that?

I loved the African-American convert, Betty Stevenson, talking about the "Most preposterous story about a white boy, a dead angel and some gold plates." Where did they find her? She was awesome.
That was Tal Bachman. He is a very bitter former Mormon these days. He is rabid about it in a Steve Benson kind of way. I think his internet message board of choice is the Recovery from Momormisn Board so it is possible to enjoy his philosophical opining about the wonders of Mormonism all the time.

Also Bachman did have one hit song a few years back. I think it is called, "She's So High."

Last edited by pelagius; 05-02-2007 at 03:57 AM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:43 AM   #5
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
That was Tal Bachman. He is a very bitter former Mormon these days. He is rabid about it in a Steve Benson kind of way. I think his internet message board of choice is the Recovery from Momormisn Board so it is possible to enjoy his philosophical opining about the wonders of Mormonism all the time.

Also Bachman did have one hit song a few years back. I think it is called, "She's So High."

That was a wussy song, unlike the kickass Bachman Turner Overdirve. I wonder if Randy's still active.

I came across that recovery from mormonism board. I don't think I've come across a more bitter group of people in the world. It was scary.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:57 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I took bucket showers most of the time, with water collected from our roof.

In one place, this rainwater ran out due to drought.

So I had to use the communal water "faucet". It was a pipe that came off the hill. Groundwater of sorts. Not particularly clean.

I contracted the worst case of jock itch I have ever had. We are talking walking bow-legged and blood on the clothing.

Worse, I was in an area where I didn't even have a toilet! I had to take dumps in the jungle. Eventually we dug a new outhouse (the old one had become full or somethng). Some protested that building an outhouse next to the well was not a good idea, but by then, we were too far along to turn back!

Good times. I loved my mission. Band of brothers.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:00 AM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Good times. I loved my mission. Band of brothers.
Good grief. Where did you serve?
Old 05-02-2007, 05:08 AM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The Chuuk Lagoon.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:12 AM   #9
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
The Chuuk Lagoon.
Guam Micronesia?
Old 05-02-2007, 07:06 AM   #10
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Chuuk Lagoon.
After I left Bangkok, I served in Leyte, Philippines. Similar experience - no running water, hole in the ground for toilet. The coolest thing was to light a newspaper on fire, throw it down the toilet hole, then watch the sides of the hole come alive with roaches and all manner of things that creep and crawl.

Tal Bachman is a pussy - he should talk to the missionaries that accidentally stepped in standing water and caught Schistosomiasis Japonicum before he whines about how tough he had it.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote