cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 02:07 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Atheism: what is it?

For me, the crux of the matter of the disbeliever versus the believer is the disbeliever defines the world in terms of what it is not, whereas the believer defines the world in terms of what it is.

Critical faculties are fine, but if that's all you have, you have nothing but "nots".

It seems atheism is a stark scalpel, with no hope for future.

Last edited by Archaea; 05-21-2007 at 02:12 AM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:58 AM   #2
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
For me, the crux of the matter of the disbeliever versus the believer is the disbeliever defines the world in terms of what it is not, whereas the believer defines the world in terms of what it is.
I think you have that completely backwards. The disbeliever sees the world for what it is, whereas the believer sees it for what he wishes it were. The believer wants there to be a Santa Claus. He wants Cinderella to hook up with the Prince. He wants God to come to the rescue. He sees the world as it is and isn't satisfied, so he creates a happy ending.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:03 AM   #3
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

So, are we having a problem here with the definition of "is"?

I guess it does all depend on what your definition of "is" is.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:48 AM   #4
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I think you have that completely backwards. The disbeliever sees the world for what it is, whereas the believer sees it for what he wishes it were. The believer wants there to be a Santa Claus. He wants Cinderella to hook up with the Prince. He wants God to come to the rescue. He sees the world as it is and isn't satisfied, so he creates a happy ending.
I think both are believers, just believers who choose to believe in two completely different realities.

Atheists choose to believe that there is no God. Of course, there is no rational scientific explanation for much of anything. Where did the universe come from? How is it possible that it has always existed (and it must have always existed if matter can neither be created nor destroyed). There is no possible answer for those questions, but atheists choose to believe that science will someday find an answer.

Non-atheists choose to believe in a higher power (which in many ways is more rational since it actually offers a simpler answer than what scientists can offer, ironically invoking Occam's Razor).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:50 AM   #5
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I think both are believers, just believers who choose to believe in two completely different realities.

Atheists choose to believe that there is no God. Of course, there is no rational scientific explanation for much of anything. Where did the universe come from? How is it possible that it has always existed (and it must have always existed if matter can neither be created nor destroyed). There is no possible answer for those questions, but atheists choose to believe that science will someday find an answer.

Non-atheists choose to believe in a higher power (which in many ways is more rational since it actually offers a simpler answer than what scientists can offer, ironically invoking Occam's Razor).
I've always maintained that they both have the same problem. Neither group really has an answer for where it all started. The believer can't answer where God came from other than he just always existed. The non-believer can't answer how the universe started either. The answer is that it just always existed.

It's interesting you bring up Occam's razor. Some people are able to come up with what appears to me to be preposterous explanations for why certain things in religion don't make sense. To me, the easiest explanation makes the most sense. Not that the easiest answer is always the correct one. It just makes the most sense until further information brought to light. I find it interesting the Occam's razor could be used on both sides of the argument.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:53 AM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post

This post evinces a classic religious person's misperception of what is atheism. Really a religious person's self-delusion about what is atheism because what they want to do is categorize atheism as religion by a different name. It's not religion by a different name. It is qualitatively different.

Atheists are in the tradition of materialists like Democrates, Epicurus, and Lucretious. They simply don't believe what they can't sense. It's that simple. It is absense of faith. Nothing more. Atheists don't "believe" science will find an answer to anything. On the contrary, thoughtful atheists are imbued with scientific ethos which by its very nature does not presume anything. It is about constantly searching for truth and never reaching an end point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Materialism

Now here is my personal gloss. As I've stated before, the only difference between atheists and agnostics is nomenclature--what label they choose for themselves. They "believe" the same thing.

Also, traditionally, when most people have talked about atheism, what they mean is non-belief in the Judeo-Christian God. This is plain from Sam Harris' and Richard Dawkins' writings. Harris calls himself an atheist and then extolls the virtues of Budhism. I read an interview in which Dawkins, Europe's premier popular science writer and paleontologist, admitted he didn't know what happened or exhisted before the Big Bang. He doesn't know and he has no belief that science will discover anything about it. He just doesn't know, and absent evidence he won't profess a belief or expectation or pretend to know about it. Dawkins simply rejects the Judeo-Christian God, and is unyielding in his reliance on reason and empiricism in his search for truth.

Religious people shouldn't project their own paradigm on atheists. They're completely different.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:36 AM   #7
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
It is absense of faith.
No, it isn't. Agnosticism is an absence of faith. Atheism is faith in absence.

We've been over the definitions of the words-- we shouldn't have to go over that again. A person who has no knowledge of the existence of God, who hasn't seen God and doesn't recognize anything that amounts to His fingerprints is an agnostic by definition. The moment he steps beyond the evidence provided and construes that there IS no God, he is an atheist.

I can respect an agnostic or an atheist just as well as any other person who follows what they in all sincerity believe to be true. When any person persists in pushing his beliefs on people who have no interest in hearing it, whether they be agnostic, atheist, or Mormon, they've crossed the line, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by All-American; 05-23-2007 at 05:49 AM.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:48 AM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Hey, don't get him started.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:52 AM   #9
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
No, you're most emphatically wrong. Atheists have no "faith" in anything. The very idea is antagonistic to what they stand for. Again, this is what religious people typically think about atheists, projecting their own paradigm, but it's not accurate. Combining the words "atheist" and "faith" in the same sentence is ludicrous. At most what they believe does not exist is a personal god, as in the Judeo-Christian tradition. To that extent they do deny the existence of God. But again, they reject a personal God because it requires faith; reason or empiricism doesn't support a personal god. As nonsequitor said, it's Santa Clausish. Agnostics don't want to be called atheists for understandable reasons given the social stigma but it's basically the same thing. But an atheist will agree with you that no one can know what came before the universe began.

—Paul Auster
Old 05-23-2007, 05:58 AM   #10
SeattleUte

Chris Hitchins or Richard Dawkins would reject any claim that their assertions are founded on "faith" in any shape or form. That's the very thing they despise. They do not claim to be making any leap.

—Paul Auster