cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 05:46 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mike and other psyches tell me if this makes sense

I've tried to understand what emotions really are, at the molecular or cellular level. I probably haven't analyzed it correctly, but at the cellular, not molecular level, emotions seem to be in some sort of configuration related to axiology, meaning values, desires which create emotive responses.

So emotions are created by virtue of the values which create expectations, as they are correlated with desire. Desire can be generated organically or can be fed and nurtured through values.

And we experience positive emotive responses when values and desires are in harmony or symbiosis. I draw analogy to chromatic harmony of the tonal variety.

Negative responses result from disharmony, or achromatic, nonsynchronous notes within our construct of desires and values.

Does any of this make sense?
Old 08-24-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you asking how are emotions created or are you asking why do they exist? The first question is bio-chemsitry and the second is genetic, religious or both, depending on how you feel about these things.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Are you asking how are emotions created or are you asking why do they exist? The first question is bio-chemsitry and the second is genetic, religious or both, depending on how you feel about these things.
Probably more a metaphysical question.

I'd also be interested in the biochemistry of emotions, but that's just an oraganic evaluation.

And by addressing it at the "cellular or molecular" level, I was being figurative, not literal.

And Mike I don't entirely believe you, as you must understand some relationship, in order to prescribe meds. Although I'm not actually posing that question, to what does biochemistry play upon the generation of emotions within the being?
Old 08-24-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Probably more a metaphysical question.

I'd also be interested in the biochemistry of emotions, but that's just an oraganic evaluation.

And by addressing it at the "cellular or molecular" level, I was being figurative, not literal.

And Mike I don't entirely believe you, as you must understand some relationship, in order to prescribe meds. Although I'm not actually posing that question, to what does biochemistry play upon the generation of emotions within the being?
The existence of emotions, meaning the fact that we have them, is less metaphysical and more bio-chemical, it seems to me. How, why and when they are invoked is more metaphysical. It is possible, of course, that I have absolutely no idea what you or I am talking about.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:13 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
The existence of emotions, meaning the fact that we have them, is less metaphysical and more bio-chemical, it seems to me. How, why and when they are invoked is more metaphysical. It is possible, of course, that I have absolutely no idea what you or I am talking about.
Here's a postulate by a complete moron, me.

Let's say your values cause you to expect X, when X happens, a positive emotion is generated. If Y happens and it is vastly different from X, then it is possible, absent cognitive intervention, for a negative reaction to be generated.

I imagine emotions like thoughts have biochemical manifestations, but do animals have emotions? What really is an emotion?

Last edited by Archaea; 08-24-2007 at 06:17 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:38 PM   #6
creekster

Quote:
Here's a postulate by a complete moron, me.

Let's say your values cause you to expect X, when X happens, a positive emotion is generated. If Y happens and it is vastly different from X, then it is possible, absent cognitive intervention, for a negative reaction to be generated.

I imagine emotions like thoughts have biochemical manifestations, but do animals have emotions? What really is an emotion?
This is an interesting chicken/egg issue. Do emotions have biochemical manifestations (meanign they spring from the soul,as it were and affect our bodies) or are the the result of biochemical reactions ot sensory inpout (meaning they are things we do or feel as a result of our bodies, like it or not)?
Old 08-24-2007, 06:43 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
This is an interesting chicken/egg issue. Do emotions have biochemical manifestations (meanign they spring from the soul,as it were and affect our bodies) or are the the result of biochemical reactions ot sensory inpout (meaning they are things we do or feel as a result of our bodies, like it or not)?
What is your opinion on the relationship?
Old 08-24-2007, 06:57 PM   #8
creekster

Quote:
What is your opinion on the relationship?
I think both are true. Broadly speaking, I think we have emotions that are programmed in us, we are wired to feel them, based on certain inputs. They vary from person to person based on genetics, so you have people that are empathetic and sociopathic. I also believe that we have the ability to experience emotions and feelings that we induce or sustain spiritually or intellectually which cause emotional responses, including related physical reactions.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:02 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
I think both are true. Broadly speaking, I think we have emotions that are programmed in us, we are wired to feel them, based on certain inputs. They vary from person to person based on genetics, so you have people that are empathetic and sociopathic. I also believe that we have the ability to experience emotions and feelings that we induce or sustain spiritually or intellectually which cause emotional responses, including related physical reactions.
What does it mean to this relationship that you can cognitively change, alter or suppress emotive responses?
Old 08-24-2007, 07:22 PM   #10
creekster

Quote:
What does it mean to this relationship that you can cognitively change, alter or suppress emotive responses?
Nothing, other than we can learn emotional responses. Is a dog emotional (happy) when its owner comes home? SUre, but it wasn't the first time it met the owner. I am not sure this tells me much about where emotions come from.