cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2006, 09:02 AM   #1
Hazzard

Hazzard
Default The white shirt obsession within the Church seems

to be the kind of tradition that Joseph Smith would have tried to squelch (although I'll wait until after my post-mortal, pre-judgment interview with him before I offer an unqualified opinion). After all, it was Joseph who said (someone please provide the exact quote) he spent much of his time tearing down traditions amongst the saints that did not relate to the eternal doctrines of salvation.

I would like to see President Hinckley wear a blue shirt to Conference sometime, just to show that the color of the shirt has nothing to do with the nature of the spirit. I find the whole debate very silly, especially the comments from the white shirt hard-liners who compare the wearing of a white shirt to other, much more important principles and doctrines. I especially think it is silly to spend even one minute of church meeting time on the topic in light of the doctrines available for exploration.
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:39 PM   #2
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone else said it was stupid to debate to which I wrote: What else am I supposed to do while I am waiting for MLS to transmit
Old 01-21-2006, 06:11 PM   #3
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

So you think that white shirts for those participating in priesthood ordinances is a false tradition of the fathers?

Interesting.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:47 PM   #4
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo
So you think that white shirts for those participating in priesthood ordinances is a false tradition of the fathers?

Interesting.
Of course it is a false tradition. It is a phenonenom of the last 20 years that started with people wanting deacons to emulate missionaries. It caught on and now is treated like doctrine. It reminds me of when I was a kid and my mother used to tell me that I should only use my right hand to take the sacrament. It was taught to me as though it were doctrine, and it wasn't until I was older that I learned it was just a tradition.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:12 PM   #5
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

I wouldn't say it in that strong of terms. Why, otherwise, would the missionaries wear white shirts?

I met a member of the quorum of the twelve over the Christmas holiday. I happened to have about two days worth of stubble at the time. When he saw me, he pointed it out and said "you're still a missionary." I shaved the next opportunity I had.

If you have a whole row of shirts from which to chose, the best would be a white one. Members of the quorum of the twelve have said that white shirts are preferred, tradition or not. Reading more into it than that would be unwise, but they have said as much.

This coming, by the way, from a guy who's been wearing a black shirt to church since October.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 08:15 PM   #6
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
I wouldn't say it in that strong of terms. Why, otherwise, would the missionaries wear white shirts?

I met a member of the quorum of the twelve over the Christmas holiday. I happened to have about two days worth of stubble at the time. When he saw me, he pointed it out and said "you're still a missionary." I shaved the next opportunity I had.

If you have a whole row of shirts from which to chose, the best would be a white one. Members of the quorum of the twelve have said that white shirts are preferred, tradition or not. Reading more into it than that would be unwise, but they have said as much.

This coming, by the way, from a guy who's been wearing a black shirt to church since October.
The reason that missionaries wear white shirts is because someone decided a long time ago that all missionaries should look alike. It has continued as a tradition. If it were so important for missionaries to wear white, then the sister missionaries would be required to wear white. The wearing of white shirts is nothing more than an arbitrary policy that has persisted.

I won't comment on the GA pointing out your stubble. I will simply roll my eyes and move on.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:39 PM   #7
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Someone please point out to me where wearing a white shirt in church is doctrine and will affect my spirituality and testimony.

Thanks in advance.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:54 PM   #8
Hazzard

Hazzard

Quote:

Interesting.
Let me clarify, because if you are actually being serious and not sarcastic in your response (which I doubt), I must not have made myself very clear.

My main point: The tradition of wearing white shirts to church meetings on Sunday has gotten so out of hand that some members view it as a doctrine or pseudo-doctrine and discuss it too often during church meetings, where we should be discussing much more important matters.

I have lost track of how much time has been wasted in PEC, Stake Priesthood meeting, BYC, and other meetings at church talking about how we need to wear white shirts. I can only guess that this obsessive focus on the color of the shirt is an outgrowth of the obsession many have with outward appearance rather than inward spiritual advancement.

Let me illustrate -- with a true story -- one negative result of the white shirt obsession. A few months ago a young man converted to the church and joined my branch. His normal manner of dress was like a member of the posse in a rap video. He owned no more clothing than a couple pair of jeans, some t-shirts, and a coat. As he took the discussions and began to come to church more and more, his dress and appearance improved dramatically. He wanted to fit in and worship with the saints in a reverent manner, so he wore the very best clothing he owned. The week after his baptism we were discussing in PEC how best to help him in his transition into the church, and the FIRST comment, from a member of the branch presidency, was that, by golly, he better start wearing a white shirt to church if he's going to be a good latter-day saint. Of all the things to discuss about how to help this new convert, getting him into a white shirt was the first suggestion. Wow.

OK, let me tell another story. Stake Priesthood meeting. An open Q&A session with the stake president. Of all the questions one might ask and all the time we might spend being edified and uplifted in discussion about the doctrines of the kingdom, we spent about 15 minutes of the hour-long session talking about whether men should wear white shirts to church.

It's a waste of precious church time to discuss the topic ad nauseum ... which is why I'm glad we have this Internet gathering place to get it all out on the table!
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:55 AM   #9
Urdu_Coug

Urdu_Coug

The deacons in my ward are instructed to only ask men wearing white shirts to help pass the sacrament. It's one of the reasons I don't 8) . And as for the "still a missionary" I don't think that's correct. I specifically remember being released from my mission call. I could be wrong. I should still be a good member and representative of the church but in no ways am I still required to live by the mission rules. I would be married if I did that!
Urdu_Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:08 AM   #10
outlier

outlier is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
As NS implied, this is done for branding purposes. I'm guessing as brand recognition goes (in many parts of the world), the LDS missionary brand would rate quite high. The church as represented by the (male) missionary brand is young, vibrant, clean, wholesome, hard-working, and attractive. The church's missionary brand strategy seems well-considered.

o

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.
- W. Churchill
outlier is offline   Reply With Quote