cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 04:21 AM   #1
Mrs. Funk

Mrs. Funk is on a distinguished road
Default Why are my parents

so completely retarded about major holidays? They are already offended that we can't make it home for Thanksgiving (I'm a first year law student... and will be getting ready for finals... but this is immaterial to them) and that the cheapest tickets back home we can find have us back in my hometown at 9 PM Christmas Day. My dad is throwing a hissyfit that we might miss Christmas Day, the first time I haven't been around to open presents with them.

We're broke newlyweds! What do they want? The earlier flight costs twice as much! We're not trying to break the family or say that we hate them. We're already taking a full week to spend with them. Funk is taking a week off of work so he can sleep in his in-law's basement while his wife gets criticized for being a slothful, worthless waste of skin daughter.

It's always been this way. I can never do anything right. I'm never considerate enough. I'm a big selfish oaf. I should just give up now.
Mrs. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:35 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

My advice:

Call your parents and tell them that you are no longer their little girl, but a married woman going to law school who is trying to start her own life with her husband.

If that doesn't work, tell them that if they want you and mpfunk there, they'll have to pay for all the travel expenses.

If that doesn't work, have mpfunk let me know your address and I'll send you one of my Christmas letters to send to your parents and you can sign it and make it from you.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:43 AM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

They sound controlling, but I'm sure they love you. Good luck with that.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:54 AM   #4
Mrs. Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
They sound controlling, but I'm sure they love you. Good luck with that.
I asked Mr. Funk if my parents can be controlling... and he paused... swallowed awkwardly... and replied, "Ummmm... yeah... they can be a little controlling."

Nuff said.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
I asked Mr. Funk if my parents can be controlling... and he paused... swallowed awkwardly... and replied, "Ummmm... yeah... they can be a little controlling."

Nuff said.
Mr Funk is a genius. My ex had a controlling mother like no other, the therapist called her one in a million. I am sure your folks are in the minor, minor leagues compared to her.

However, I grew up in the church in the fifties and sixties. The man was in charge and leave your parents and cleave unto each other meant something.

As the manly man I was and with the churches stand on "man is head of household", instead of Mr Funks approach, my approach was, you dang frickin rights she's controlling and I will put a stop to it. 13 year battle between Mom and husband ensued and I lost out.

Of course so did the 2 subsequent guys she married and my guess is the guy she is marrying today will too.

Oh, I don't have any advice for you, but good luck.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:09 PM   #6
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Whatever you do, don't try to put Mr. Funk in the middle.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
Mrs. Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I totally agree. It's not his fight. It's just frustrating because we're doing the best we can. I'm the oldest, and my parents are far from being understanding that we might not be there at 6:30 AM for Present Unwrapping Bacchanalia.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #8
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

As a fresh new law student, here is your chance to put your new skills to use and probe your parents to find out what their true concern is. It could be that they recently went through the emotional experience of losing their baby to marriage, and now they are afraid of not getting you every holiday season.

Once you know where they are coming from, mediation and negotiation should be a snap, because as their daughter, you have tons of leverage!
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #9
Mrs. Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
As a fresh new law student, here is your chance to put your new skills to use and probe your parents to find out what their true concern is. It could be that they recently went through the emotional experience of losing their baby to marriage, and now they are afraid of not getting you every holiday season.

Once you know where they are coming from, mediation and negotiation should be a snap, because as their daughter, you have tons of leverage!
I'm almost positive that it's exacerbated by the recent "loss" they sustained through my marriage, but they've always been insane about "Family comes first" since before I can remember. Thing is, they have to remember that Mr. Funk's family comes first, too, now, and we have to balance between the two families.

By the way, I just got a slightly tart email from my mom saying they're *sigh* willing to work with what we need to do. They're also suggesting we drive from Utah to Washington in the middle of December. Riiiiiiiiiight...
Old 11-02-2007, 03:57 PM   #10
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Amen. Which is probably impossible.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote