cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve
Default Romney v McCain on Amnesty....was Mitt pandering again?

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...WI2YzllZDc0NzQ

While much is made within our religious circles of anti-mormonism and religious bigotry as the reason for the lack of Mitt-love......I submit this as the real reason people have such a challenge getting behind Mitt Romney.

Mitt is seeming more and more like Bill Clinton...super intelligent, super polished, will say just about anything, even if it is untrue. (not trying to draw a moralilty comparison between the two.....more to compare their oratory).

Why is the Mormon candidate the one that is know as the liar? Kind of annoying.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...WI2YzllZDc0NzQ

While much is made within our religious circles of anti-mormonism and religious bigotry as the reason for the lack of Mitt-love......I submit this as the real reason people have such a challenge getting behind Mitt Romney.

Mitt is seeming more and more like Bill Clinton...super intelligent, super polished, will say just about anything, even if it is untrue. (not trying to draw a moralilty comparison between the two.....more to compare their oratory).

Why is the Mormon candidate the one that is know as the liar? Kind of annoying.
I knew Bill Clinton, and Mitt Romney is no Bill Clinton. He doesn't have the same charisma.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I knew Bill Clinton, and Mitt Romney is no Bill Clinton. He doesn't have the same charisma.
Exactly. You can change your story all you want so long as you can do it in an, "oh, let's put all this petty confusion behind us and go have a drink" kind of style. It also helps if you flip-flop in a southern drawl instead of Exeter diction.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Exactly. You can change your story all you want so long as you can do it in an, "oh, let's put all this petty confusion behind us and go have a drink" kind of style. It also helps if you flip-flop in a southern drawl instead of Exeter diction.
You've been giving me a lot of props for my political insight. It seems to me you are suggesting we catch a drink. Why don't you put a shawl over that cheerleading outfit, and give me a call.

But seriously, it's the ability to connect through the television in a way that feels personal and authentic. See Reagan, Clinton, and Obama.

It may not be a rational way to pick a leader, but that's how our ancestors living in caves chose their leaders. The one that lit up the charisma center of their brains.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
This is true, one hundred times over. By the end of his second term, Clinton was basically lying while looking directly into the camera on live TV...and his poll numbers would stay sky high.

I felt sympathetic for Mitt last night as he was blanket partied by the other candidates, but it appears that what he said in the debate about amnesty was not a case of skewing the truth....it was basically a flat out lie. At this stage of the game, can he really afford to re-ignite the flip-flop, untrustworthy bonfire that has been burning all these months?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I felt sympathetic for Mitt last night as he was blanket partied by the other candidates, but it appears that what he said in the debate about amnesty was not a case of skewing the truth....it was basically a flat out lie. At this stage of the game, can he really afford to re-ignite the flip-flop, untrustworthy bonfire that has been burning all these months?
Honestly, I think he's grasping at straws at this point. I wasn't kidding the other day when I said his only plan, his whole strategy was to win Iowa. This has been public knowledge for six months or more. He had everything going for him there and couldn't pull it out. Now he's trying to figure out what to do differently to have better results elsewhere. Half-truths is probably not the way to go.

I really kinda feel bad for him. There are a lot of indications that he may well make an excellent President. But he can't play the game well enough to get the chance to prove it.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Honestly, I think he's grasping at straws at this point. I wasn't kidding the other day when I said his only plan, his whole strategy was to win Iowa. This has been public knowledge for six months or more. He had everything going for him there and couldn't pull it out. Now he's trying to figure out what to do differently to have better results elsewhere. Half-truths is probably not the way to go.

I really kinda feel bad for him. There are a lot of indications that he may well make an excellent President. But he can't play the game well enough to get the chance to prove it.
Well, if he can't play the game well enough, maybe he shouldn't be president.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

This makes me sad. Romney needs to stay in this race. If he falls, it'll probably end up being Giuliani or Huckabee. Huckabee would probably lose the general and will destroy the republican party if he wins, so that's fine, but Giuliani is a fascist who could conceivably do more damage than Bush has to our country.

If I had to pick a major republican candidate who might actually do a decent job, it'd be Romney. Why can't he stop lying for once?
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
This makes me sad. Romney needs to stay in this race. If he falls, it'll probably end up being Giuliani or Huckabee. Huckabee would probably lose the general and will destroy the republican party if he wins, so that's fine, but Giuliani is a fascist who could conceivably do more damage than Bush has to our country.

If I had to pick a major republican candidate who might actually do a decent job, it'd be Romney. Why can't he stop lying for once?
It's about him needing to stop lying. It's more that he's not as good at lying as all the others on both sides. Romney has yet learned how to lie and get away with it. He needs to study Bill Clinton's entire political career more closely.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #10
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
It's about him needing to stop lying. It's more that he's not as good at lying as all the others on both sides. Romney has yet learned how to lie and get away with it. He needs to study Bill Clinton's entire political career more closely.
Well, yea, but there's a way to deny something without saying "I never said that" when you've been saying it constantly. Clinton was a slippery fish; a moving target. Romney just hangs there like a good dart board.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote