cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not fair about the primaries

that Texas should have such a large role, near the end of the primaries, in deciding the nominee.

Not fair at all. What a terrible system that a state can get greedy, and schedule themselves late and take on a huge disproportionate role in the process.

Disgusting.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Not fair at all. What a terrible system that a state can get greedy, and schedule themselves late and take on a huge disproportionate role in the process.

Disgusting.
But so very Texas.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:13 PM   #3
FMCoug

FMCoug

The primary system needs "fixing" to make it more fair in general. The whole momentum thing makes the early states so much more important as well. Also, the fact that some states are "winner take all" and some are proportionate. I would advocate some sort of proportionate formula for all states. Incidentally, I think the same change should be made to the electoral college. If the vote is extemely close in CA, TX, FL, etc. the winner should not get all the electoral college votes. Maybe split the ones from the congressional district by popular vote % and the overall winner gets the other 2 or something along those lines.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Texas runs the risk of being irrelevant by the time its primary comes around. I think it's asinine that Iowa and NH play such an important role. Mitt's Iowa- NH strategy only highlighted that this year. Unfortunately, since Obama and McCain were respectively launched in the Iowa and NH campaigns, and the Iowa campaign made Huckabee a contender and all savvy observers knew Mitt was done after his disappointments in these two primaries, this isn't going to change.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:32 AM   #5
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Texas runs the risk of being irrelevant by the time its primary comes around. I think it's asinine that Iowa and NH play such an important role. Mitt's Iowa- NH strategy only highlighted that this year. Unfortunately, since Obama and McCain were respectively launched in the Iowa and NH campaigns, and the Iowa campaign made Huckabee a contender and all savvy observers knew Mitt was done after his disappointments in these two primaries, this isn't going to change.
I'd like to commend you on this post (really), but you keep getting in the way.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:48 PM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
The primary system needs "fixing" to make it more fair in general. The whole momentum thing makes the early states so much more important as well. Also, the fact that some states are "winner take all" and some are proportionate. I would advocate some sort of proportionate formula for all states. Incidentally, I think the same change should be made to the electoral college. If the vote is extemely close in CA, TX, FL, etc. the winner should not get all the electoral college votes. Maybe split the ones from the congressional district by popular vote % and the overall winner gets the other 2 or something along those lines.
I seriously doubt you will see this kind of system happening anytime soon. One of the reasons for the electoral college is to encourage candidates to pay attention to smaller states. Your solution effectively converts the electoral college to a direct-vote system, which would consistently favor large states disproportionately.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:06 PM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I seriously doubt you will see this kind of system happening anytime soon. One of the reasons for the electoral college is to encourage candidates to pay attention to smaller states. Your solution effectively converts the electoral college to a direct-vote system, which would consistently favor large states disproportionately.
Small states shouldn't have very much say. THe EC distorts their say all out of proportion. It's anti-democratic. The quickest way to mute the crazies is to get rid of the EC. What's wrong with straight democracy, Tex? The EC is obnoxious and archaic. It was instituted back when women and blacks couldn't vote. That's how wize people were then. What's wrong with us that we can't fix some horrible flaw in our system like this? Between the EC and the primaries' stupid rules Americans can't think they have much say in picking a president.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:17 AM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Small states shouldn't have very much say. THe EC distorts their say all out of proportion. It's anti-democratic. The quickest way to mute the crazies is to get rid of the EC. What's wrong with straight democracy, Tex? The EC is obnoxious and archaic. It was instituted back when women and blacks couldn't vote. That's how wize people were then. What's wrong with us that we can't fix some horrible flaw in our system like this? Between the EC and the primaries' stupid rules Americans can't think they have much say in picking a president.

It is geographic and as a denizen of a small state, I don't wish for the only voices to be hear to be those on the coasts. It was a concept of protecting the minority and regional opinions. I may not always like the opinions of the regions, but I don't wish to be governed by New Yorkers all the time. And the difference is small but significant. If you allow for straight democracy, candidates would campaign in about ten to fifteen places and ignore the voices elsewhere. They'd go to the fifteen largest metropolitan areas and the voices of the minority would die. As a member of the minority, I don't favor that.

You'd have these places electing the President:

Quote:
. Los Angeles-Long Beach, CA

2. New York, NY

3. Chicago, IL PMSA

4. Philadelphia, PA-NJ

5. Washington, DC-MD-VA-WV

6. Detroit, MI

7. Houston, TX

8. Atlanta, GA

9. Dallas, TX

10. Boston, MA-NH

11. Riverside-San Bernardino, CA

12. Phoenix-Mesa, AZ

13. Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN-WI

14. Orange County, CA

15. San Diego, CA
Living in the fortieth largest metropolitan means we'd be ignored. The Electoral College creates a true national campaign and a President who had to campaign in all fifty states.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:59 AM   #9
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It is geographic and as a denizen of a small state, I don't wish for the only voices to be hear to be those on the coasts. It was a concept of protecting the minority and regional opinions. I may not always like the opinions of the regions, but I don't wish to be governed by New Yorkers all the time. And the difference is small but significant. If you allow for straight democracy, candidates would campaign in about ten to fifteen places and ignore the voices elsewhere. They'd go to the fifteen largest metropolitan areas and the voices of the minority would die. As a member of the minority, I don't favor that.

You'd have these places electing the President:

Living in the fortieth largest metropolitan means we'd be ignored. The Electoral College creates a true national campaign and a President who had to campaign in all fifty states.
Um, your list is missing one of the most liberal, and largest metropolitan areas in the country...my very own SF Bay Area. Adding more credence to your argument.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:16 PM   #10
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

That's why I don't favor abolishing the EC completely. But a way to proportionately allocate votes from a state seems to make sense to me. I'd argue that the way it is now gives the big states too much power too. A candidate can squeak out a win in TX and get a ton of EC votes ... maybe enough to put him/her over the top.

Also, I said to give the 2 votes that are not from congressional districts to the overall winner of the state. So in small states, where those 2 votes are more meaningful, it would not change much.