cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default On child abuse

You know when I see a child abuser in court, I sometimes wonder what keeps the parent from jumping across the table and throttling the guy.

There is pain for the abused. And there is pain for those that feel they were responsible to protect the abused. I have had patients describe to me the feeling of guilt related to a child abused.

Someone once posted the clip of the parent who waited at the airport after his son's accused abuser had been arrested and was being transported. The father pretended to be on a pay phone and then whipped out a gun and shot and killed the abuser (who was his son's martial arts instructor). He got 5 years in jail. The son had mixed feelings, because he cared for the instructor. I'm certainly not advocating vigilantism. In fact, I think it is wrong. But at the same time, it's a wonder it doesn't happen more often.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You know when I see a child abuser in court, I sometimes wonder what keeps the parent from jumping across the table and throttling the guy.

There is pain for the abused. And there is pain for those that feel they were responsible to protect the abused. I have had patients describe to me the feeling of guilt related to a child abused.

Someone once posted the clip of the parent who waited at the airport after his son's accused abuser had been arrested and was being transported. The father pretended to be on a pay phone and then whipped out a gun and shot and killed the abuser (who was his son's martial arts instructor). He got 5 years in jail. The son had mixed feelings, because he cared for the instructor. I'm certainly not advocating vigilantism. In fact, I think it is wrong. But at the same time, it's a wonder it doesn't happen more often.

I can't even imagine the feelings a parent would have in that situation. Child abusers are the worst of the worst.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:39 PM   #3
BYUTexan

BYUTexan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I know this may be insensitive, but even if that guy was guilty of abuse, the father who killed him committed a worse act and should have been spent the rest of his life in prison for that MURDER. There is a court system for a reason.

The eyes of Texas are upon you Michael Reed (and David Nixon).
BYUTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUTexan View Post
I know this may be insensitive, but even if that guy was guilty of abuse, the father who killed him committed a worse act and should have been spent the rest of his life in prison for that MURDER. There is a court system for a reason.
that's not how the jury saw it I guess.

It was premeditated murder fo sho.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #5
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

All this talk reminds me of Chad the Fagg while growing up.

He was a barber that moved in from a town north of us. His barbershop was located in a little annex off of his home and he was the only barber. He was married and had children. He must have been cheap or was very good because he became quite popular after his arrival. I remember my mom taking me there several times (I was probably 13-14).

Then the rumors started among my friends that he was some kind of pervert molester (hence our moniker for him). One included coming south because he had worn out his welcome in his previous town by molesting boys. Mr friends commented on how he would often talk about sex while cutting their hair. I even recall my father saying something that indicated he at least was aware of something untoward.

I remember one time being dropped off and getting my hair cut. We were alone in the little annex and he starts talking about his first sexual experience with a girl when he was 14. He was fairly descriptive. I was uncomfortable and not at all responsive. Nothing happened and I never told my parents (this scares me as a father of a 12-year-old boy). Eventually we quit going to him.

That was a different time.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
BYUTexan

Quote:
that's not how the jury saw it I guess.

It was premeditated murder fo sho.
premeditated murder should = capital murder

BTW I found out at about the age of 18 that when my older brother was 13 my parents dropped him off at a bookstore while they ran errands around town. My older brother was gay (I say was as he is now deceased) and snuck over to the place where they had the gay magazines (no pun intended) while there this man solicited my brother took him to his house, and while there put a gun to my brothers head and raped him. My parents didn't tell me anything, until my older brother told me when I was about 18 or so. I looked up the offender in the offender registry here in Texas. My parents saw him in town a few years ago. He gave them a little smile and my parents were fuming. I would have beaten the hell out of that remorseless guy.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:26 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I have to admit that if someone were to harm my kids, the cretin had better pray that the police got to him/her before I did. I freely admit that could never do what would be expected of me - to let the justice system run it's course.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:52 PM   #8
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

When I was in high school, Ellie Nessler shot and killed Daniel Driver, her son's molester, in front of the courthouse that was walking distance from my house. Driver had victimized many boys in our community. He'd go church hopping and prey on single moms.

I lived in a small rural community and people really rallied around her. Cars all over town sported "We support you Ellie" bumper stickers. Killing him was wrong, but it's easy to feel sympathy for her.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:04 PM   #9
BYUTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
When I was in high school, Ellie Nessler shot and killed Daniel Driver, her son's molester, in front of the courthouse that was walking distance from my house. Driver had victimized many boys in our community. He'd go church hopping and prey on single moms.

I lived in a small rural community and people really rallied around her. Cars all over town sported "We support you Ellie" bumper stickers. Killing him was wrong, but it's easy to feel sympathy for her.
To me this is still murder. 30-40 years minimum. To support her was terrible and sends the wrong message. Now had she beat the crap out of him with a baseball bat and not killed him is fine with me, but murder IMO is worse.

I just read that she served only 4 years. WTF. She took someones life and IMO should loose her own by spending it in jail. It cannot be justified IMO.

Last edited by BYUTexan; 02-28-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:06 PM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUTexan View Post
To me this is still murder. 30-40 years minimum. To support her was terrible and sends the wrong message. Now had she beat the crap out of him with a baseball bat and not killed him is fine with me, but murder IMO is worse.
Do you have kids?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote