cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2008, 11:52 PM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sound of Music

I caught this on TV the other night. What a great movie. Julie Andrews had some pipes. It's no wonder Captain Von Trapp had it for her. OTOH, the Baroness was no slouch. Though I can't see her hiking the mountains to escape the Nazis.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:55 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I caught this on TV the other night. What a great movie. Julie Andrews had some pipes. It's no wonder Captain Von Trapp had it for her. OTOH, the Baroness was no slouch. Though I can't see her hiking the mountains to escape the Nazis.

For this Pelagius was persuaded to stay in the rust belt?
Old 03-26-2008, 12:29 AM   #3
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Oh, come now, Creek. I for one appreciate Y's sincere pontificating on the merits of such a highly regarded cinematic classic. And honestly, I find his affection for twentieth century musical film quite moving. And his willingness to admit this secret love affair is bravery such that even Seattle's dedication to the ballet pales in comparison.

Personally, Sound of Music's not my favorite musical, but I can see where an argument could be made. That scene where Rolf encounters the Captain! What tension! What drama!

Anyhow Y, you just nevermind Creek. He's probably a closet musical lover himself. I bet he sings "Bali Hai" in the shower. So you feel free to extol the virtues of Rogers and Hammerstein anytime you like. Batgirl's got your back.

(Just be sure to let us know if you decide to make yourself overalls out of floral curtains. We'll want photographic evidence to avoid any glaring omissions in Cougarguard's sartorial photo gallery. Thanks in advance.)
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:40 AM   #4
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm a big fan of Sound of Music. The part where Captain Von Trapp talks down young Ralph while they are hiding in the church is pure cinema magic. Not to mention the whimsy of "How do you solve a problem like Maria ..."
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:00 AM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
I'm a big fan of Sound of Music. The part where Captain Von Trapp talks down young Ralph while they are hiding in the church is pure cinema magic. Not to mention the whimsy of "How do you solve a problem like Maria ..."
Now this is a guy with discriminating tastes, setting him apart from a simple-minded primate.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:26 AM   #6
creekster

Quote:
Now this is a guy with discriminating tastes, setting him apart from a simple-minded primate.
Yea, it's some kind of taste. I'm starting to think htta maybe staying in Ohio was a win/win for everyone, especially you.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:32 AM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Yea, it's some kind of taste. I'm starting to think htta maybe staying in Ohio was a win/win for everyone, especially you.
Hmmm...everybody in this thread except you and RunnerCoug love The Sound of Music. Me, pelagius, myboynoah, Seattle Ute, PAC, Barbara Gordon, IPU, and Goatnapper96 (he didn't respond so it's assumed under SU rules that he also loves it) all have it for the good Governess. So you may need to reassess your stance on this fine film.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:34 AM   #8
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Hmmm...everybody in this thread except you and RunnerCoug love The Sound of Music. Me, pelagius, myboynoah, Seattle Ute, PAC, Barbara Gordon, IPU, and Goatnapper96 (he didn't respond so it's assumed under SU rules that he also loves it) all have it for the good Governess. So you may need to reassess your stance on this fine film.
Speaking of the good governess, Mary Poppins is a wonderful film, and one of the minority of best picture academy award winners that's actually good.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:39 AM   #9
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Speaking of the good governess, Mary Poppins is a wonderful film, and one of the minority of best picture academy award winners that's actually good.
I haven't seen that one for years. My daughter won it in an Easter Egg hunt so I imagine I'll be checking it out any day now. Watch for the review. I do remember a catchy tune about sweeping chimneys, which I'm sure Triplet Dad can somehow make into a double entendre.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:39 AM   #10
creekster

Quote:

And I am sure you will all look good in chintz liederhosen. Really, that will be swell.