cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Name that Nutjob!

“The very belligerent tone of Sister Johnson’s remarks will do little to win the favor of the Brethren of the Lord. He who made them made both Male and Female and there is a difference. The female has the greatest influence on the children of our Heavenly Father, because she prepares their earthly body and then nurtures them during the most formative period of their life. Therefore there is no power on earth as strong as mother love and mother influence….In order to attempt to get the male somewhere near even [with the female] the Heavenly Father gave him the Priesthood or directing authority for the Church and home. Without this bequeath[al] the male would be so far below the female in power and influence that there would be little or no purpose for his existence[,] in fact would probably be eaten by the female as is the case with the black widow spider.”

The preceding quote most likely belongs to:

a. Grapevine doing his usual straight thuggin’ (if you add some references to brm or jfm and mess up the grammar and/or spelling.)

b. Someone not in Indy’s ward.

c. Most anyone in Sleeping in EQ’s ward and most likely his Quorum President.

d. Someone with unresolved oedipal issues.

e. Lingo’s father.

f. That one person you hope doesn’t get up during testimony meeting because you brought an investigator.

g. That one person you hope does get up during testimony meeting because it’s first class entertainment.

h. Not sure, but it reads like your typical CB post.

I. You know who this quote belongs to but hope I won’t reveal it.

*Note: All choices are supposed to be in fun. No harm meant...
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 04-25-2006 at 01:19 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:21 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

you forgot the last part of the quote:

"Therefore the Lord has made plain by revelations both ancient and modern that the male rules over the female but always with love and great respect. . . ."

— HR, Jr.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:30 PM   #3
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
you forgot the last part of the quote:

"Therefore the Lord has made plain by revelations both ancient and modern that the male rules over the female but always with love and great respect. . . ."

— HR, Jr.
I don't have the whole quote in front of me, just the excerpts that are quoted in Sonntagg Bradley's book. I'm impressed you know the quote, though. So which letter were you going with?
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

Old 04-25-2006, 01:44 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ
I don't have the whole quote in front of me, just the excerpts that are quoted in Sonntagg Bradley's book. I'm impressed you know the quote, though. So which letter were you going with?
You're making me blush....I've never received such high praise for my knowledge of google before...
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
Sleeping in EQ

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
You're making me blush....I've never received such high praise for my knowledge of google before...
Exactly how well, Bro. Waters, do you know this Google of which you speak? That new fangled Internet is a one way ticket to the smelliest outhouse in the Telestial Queendom.

Old 04-25-2006, 02:24 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ
Exactly how well, Bro. Waters, do you know this Google of which you speak? That new fangled Internet is a one way ticket to the smelliest outhouse in the Telestial Queendom.
I know the answer. Took me 15 seconds on google, baby!
Old 04-25-2006, 03:31 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Okay so I can't google

I don't know who it is, but I remember Sonia Johnson, and the sister from our Germany Duesseldorf who stood up in General Conference to oppose President Kimball.

I also remember Rex Lee's repudiation of the Amendment.

From your intro, I would imagine you disagree with the position taken by the Church on the issue and consider the Church leaders nutjobs for opposing Sonia?

There aren't many political issues in which the Church has been involved, in fact I can only remember three. The MX missile concept, the ERA and gay marriage. Surprisingly, it has been on the winning side on three issues, although I imagine the Church may eventually be overcome on the gay marriage issue. Sexuality is not a issue the Church will ever win, given our lax morals in industrialized society.

Do you believe the Church will ever undo the law of chastity and simply make it a recommendation?

Will adultery ever be removed as a commandment?

Should it?

I wonder how lax we may become in the future.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:07 PM   #8
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
I don't know who it is, but I remember Sonia Johnson, and the sister from our Germany Duesseldorf who stood up in General Conference to oppose President Kimball.

I also remember Rex Lee's repudiation of the Amendment.

From your intro, I would imagine you disagree with the position taken by the Church on the issue and consider the Church leaders nutjobs for opposing Sonia?

There aren't many political issues in which the Church has been involved, in fact I can only remember three. The MX missile concept, the ERA and gay marriage. Surprisingly, it has been on the winning side on three issues, although I imagine the Church may eventually be overcome on the gay marriage issue. Sexuality is not a issue the Church will ever win, given our lax morals in industrialized society.

Do you believe the Church will ever undo the law of chastity and simply make it a recommendation?

Will adultery ever be removed as a commandment?

Should it?

I wonder how lax we may become in the future.

I find that particular quote from HR JR totally over the top. To equate that with me somehow "disagreeing with the position of the Church" (whatever that means) is also over the top.

Old 04-25-2006, 04:12 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who is HR Jr.?

I wouldn't make the quote, unless HR stands for Hartman Rector Junior.

I believe sometime in the eternities women will have the priesthood and don't fully understand why they don't now.

Yes the quote is not something I believe or would make, but anything that appears to make Sonia look good making Hartman out to be a nutjob gets me questioning. She was poison from the get go. He was a salesman, sometimes over the top, but he sold hard.

Last edited by Archaea; 04-25-2006 at 04:14 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:45 PM   #10
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
I wouldn't make the quote, unless HR stands for Hartman Rector Junior.

I believe sometime in the eternities women will have the priesthood and don't fully understand why they don't now.

Yes the quote is not something I believe or would make, but anything that appears to make Sonia look good making Hartman out to be a nutjob gets me questioning. She was poison from the get go. He was a salesman, sometimes over the top, but he sold hard.
Fair enough. No doubt Sonia's got some *interesting* quotes of her own.