cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2008, 11:57 PM   #1
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road
Default Chris Matthews blasting Palin tonight

I know, he's liberal. But he is correct about this. When Sarah Palin talks about the constitution being "flexible" about the role of the VP and that she'll assume a powerful role in the senate and in the administration, she is full of it. The constitution only says she casts the tie vote in the senate and takes over if the president dies. Any "conservative" who would argue otherwise is making the same kind of loose construction argument the "living constitution" folks try to make. Cheney set a bad precedent.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:02 AM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Just for reference, could you provide a link to the Palin quote that Matthews is taking exception with?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:03 AM   #3
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Just for reference, could you provide a link to the Palin quote that Matthews is taking exception with?
She said it during her debate. If you're so interested, go look it up. I heard it myself.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:07 AM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

It should be apparent by now that Palin is not much of a conservative.

Here's the quote, Tex:
Quote:
IFILL: Governor, you said in July that someone would have to explain to you exactly what it is the vice president does every day. You, senator, said, you would not be vice president under any circumstances. Now maybe this was just what was going on at the time. But tell us now, looking forward, what it is you think the vice presidency is worth now. PALIN: In my comment there, it was a lame attempt at a joke and yours was a lame attempt at a joke, too, I guess, because nobody got it. Of course we know what a vice president does.

BIDEN: They didn't get yours or mine? Which one didn't they get?

PALIN: No, no. Of course, we know what a vice president does. And that's not only to preside over the Senate and will take that position very seriously also. I'm thankful the Constitution would allow a bit more authority given to the vice president if that vice president so chose to exert it in working with the Senate and making sure that we are supportive of the president's policies and making sure too that our president understands what our strengths are. John McCain and I have had good conversations about where I would lead with his agenda. That is energy independence in America and reform of government over all, and then working with families of children with special needs. That's near and dear to my heart also. In those arenas, John McCain has already tapped me and said, that's where I want you, I want you to lead. I said, I can't wait to get and there go to work with you.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:10 AM   #5
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
It should be apparent by now that Palin is not much of a conservative.

Here's the quote, Tex:
Yes, I heard it in the debate. I wasn't sure if that was the one that Matthews (via BlueK) was referring to, given that it was 2 weeks ago. It took him this long to get around to commenting?

The key sentence is this:

Quote:
I'm thankful the Constitution would allow a bit more authority given to the vice president if that vice president so chose to exert it in working with the Senate and making sure that we are supportive of the president's policies and making sure too that our president understands what our strengths are.
Working with the Senate and making sure that we are supportive of the president's policies. Not exactly a clear-cut statement, but I don't see what's so extra-constitutional about it.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-22-2008, 04:50 AM   #6
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Yes, I heard it in the debate. I wasn't sure if that was the one that Matthews (via BlueK) was referring to, given that it was 2 weeks ago. It took him this long to get around to commenting?

Working with the Senate and making sure that we are supportive of the president's policies. Not exactly a clear-cut statement, but I don't see what's so extra-constitutional about it.
Matthews was referring to her latest statement on the role of VP (pretty amazing she STILL doesn't know what the VP does, isn't it?):

Q: Brandon Garcia wants to know, “What does the Vice President do?”

PALIN: That’s something that Piper would ask me! … [T]hey’re in charge of the U.S. Senate so if they want to they can really get in there with the senators and make a lot of good policy changes that will make life better for Brandon and his family and his classroom.

Video available here:

http://www.9news.com/news/article.as...2237&catid=339
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #7
BlueK

Quote:

She's repeated variations of the same thing in other public appearances since then.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Matthews was referring to her latest statement on the role of VP (pretty amazing she STILL doesn't know what the VP does, isn't it?):

Q: Brandon Garcia wants to know, “What does the Vice President do?”

PALIN: That’s something that Piper would ask me! … [T]hey’re in charge of the U.S. Senate so if they want to they can really get in there with the senators and make a lot of good policy changes that will make life better for Brandon and his family and his classroom.

Video available here:

http://www.9news.com/news/article.as...2237&catid=339
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
She's repeated variations of the same thing in other public appearances since then.
I've yet to hear how this is extra-constitutional.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-22-2008, 01:39 PM   #9
BlueK

Quote:
I've yet to hear how this is extra-constitutional.
Pretty simple, Tex. Now tell me where expanded powers she's talking about fits into the text below. She has no policy making authority according to what I read. Maybe I'm an originalist and you're not.

This is all the Constitution says about the duties of the vice president:

Article 1, section 3
The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no vote, unless they be equally divided.

Amendment XXV
Section 1. In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation, the Vice President shall become President.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #10
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Shocking goings on in the media.

Next thing we know Hannity will start blasting someone from the left.