cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2008, 11:43 PM   #1
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BYU is 15 in the latest BCS poll........

Pretty incredible that they still have a shot at a BCS game, slim shot but a shot nonetheless.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:56 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

junkie, walk me through the MWC tie breaker rules. I am too lazy to look them up.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:15 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Please, please, no BCS this year, it would make the Hawaii embarrassment look competitive.

Utah will take care of us in all likelihood.

But if Utah defeats TCU and BYU defeats Utah with no other losses for any school, who will be highest and who goes?

My uneducated guess would be that BYU having defeated a highly ranked team, or TCU would go, but TCU might fall below BYU if it loses to Utah, and Utah would likely fall below BYU.

Yet Boise still must lose and I don't see that as likely.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:42 AM   #4
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Please, please, no BCS this year, it would make the Hawaii embarrassment look competitive.

Utah will take care of us in all likelihood.

But if Utah defeats TCU and BYU defeats Utah with no other losses for any school, who will be highest and who goes?

My uneducated guess would be that BYU having defeated a highly ranked team, or TCU would go, but TCU might fall below BYU if it loses to Utah, and Utah would likely fall below BYU.

Yet Boise still must lose and I don't see that as likely.
The most likely scenario for BYU in the BCS (in fact, probably the only realistic scenario) would be for Utah to beat TCU, BYU to beat Utah, and BSU to lose to anyone (they have Nevada and FSU left).

Not terrible odds, but not nearly as good as a team who controls their own destiny, like Utah and TCU (BSU needs help, as Utah or TCU would get in ahead of them if either of those teams win out).

The MWC tiebreaker works as follows:

1. Compare head to head results (wouldn't work if Utah beats TCU, BYU beats Utah, and TCU beat BYU).

2. Compare records against other league teams, from top to bottom (wouldn't work- their only losses would be to each other).

3. Compare results against other tied teams (I think this is a MOV issue, but it isn't really clear)

4. Coin flip (which would be absolutely nuts- how would it even work with a 3 team scenario?).

BYU could get into the BCS as the 2nd non-BCS team this year too. The Big 10, Big 12 and SEC will all likely get 2 teams in each (that is the maximum a conference can have). Unless Oregon State wins out (in which case, they are the Pac 10 champ, but not eligible for a BCS game because they aren't in the top 16), USC will go, and will likely go anyways as an at large (so I think the best the Pac 10 can get is 1). The ACC may not have a qualifying team, same with the Big East. If that is the case, 2 non-BCS teams could get in.

This could turn into a crazy year for college football.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:51 AM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
The most likely scenario for BYU in the BCS (in fact, probably the only realistic scenario) would be for Utah to beat TCU, BYU to beat Utah, and BSU to lose to anyone (they have Nevada and FSU left).

Not terrible odds, but not nearly as good as a team who controls their own destiny, like Utah and TCU (BSU needs help, as Utah or TCU would get in ahead of them if either of those teams win out).

The MWC tiebreaker works as follows:

1. Compare head to head results (wouldn't work if Utah beats TCU, BYU beats Utah, and TCU beat BYU).

2. Compare records against other league teams, from top to bottom (wouldn't work- their only losses would be to each other).

3. Compare results against other tied teams (I think this is a MOV issue, but it isn't really clear)

4. Coin flip (which would be absolutely nuts- how would it even work with a 3 team scenario?).

BYU could get into the BCS as the 2nd non-BCS team this year too. The Big 10, Big 12 and SEC will all likely get 2 teams in each (that is the maximum a conference can have). Unless Oregon State wins out (in which case, they are the Pac 10 champ, but not eligible for a BCS game because they aren't in the top 16), USC will go, and will likely go anyways as an at large (so I think the best the Pac 10 can get is 1). The ACC may not have a qualifying team, same with the Big East. If that is the case, 2 non-BCS teams could get in.

This could turn into a crazy year for college football.
But against a good BCS team, our defense would look like a high school team. We'd have to pray for an SEC team with no offense.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:29 AM   #6
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
But against a good BCS team, our defense would look like a high school team. We'd have to pray for an SEC team with no offense.
I think BYU would match up very well against a Georgia, or even an Alabama (who I think is extraordinarily overrated and will get thumped by Florida in the SEC title game). The SEC is offense-lite this year. Their defenses are very good, and would limit BYU's points, but BYU would put up enough to be competitive.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:31 AM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
I think BYU would match up very well against a Georgia, or even an Alabama (who I think is extraordinarily overrated and will get thumped by Florida in the SEC title game). The SEC is offense-lite this year. Their defenses are very good, and would limit BYU's points, but BYU would put up enough to be competitive.
Georgia could dismantle us, and BYU would be hurt by Alabama imho.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:10 AM   #8
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Georgia could very well score 100 on us. Stafford is a first round NFL type of a guy. The QBs we have faced won't sniff an NFL roster and they have moved the ball at will. Wait. Maybe I misunderstood. You said "a Georgia or even a Alabama." If you meant Georgia Southern or Alabama State, I agree with you whole-heartedly.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:15 AM   #9
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

The only teams that BYU could manage a game against this year would be the ACC or Big East Champion. Unless we can guarantee that match up, I would just rather BYU not be involved. I don't know what happened but since that USU game, this team has not played well.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:22 AM   #10
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
The only teams that BYU could manage a game against this year would be the ACC or Big East Champion. Unless we can guarantee that match up, I would just rather BYU not be involved. I don't know what happened but since that USU game, this team has not played well.
I disagree. I think Utah, BYU and TCU would all play extremely well against an SEC school this year. The Big 12 would crush us, but the SEC is very bad on offense (Florida excepted- they look very good right now).