cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2006, 02:59 PM   #1
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah
Default Anybody have health insurance for self employed/small business?

The straw broke the camel's back today and I am in the process of writing my resignation. It was coming anyway as I am about to embark on my own venture, just not this soon. The big bosses pushed and the only leverage I have to push back with is my position. Oh well, such is life.

Our business will be based out of Utah, probably Salt Lake Co. Right now it's an LLC with me and a partner but we'll probably be adding another one or two shortly. I really would like health insurance for the peace of mind as I don't have any existing conditions that require routine health care or prescriptions, but I have had my share of accidents including my most recent one that resulted in 4 doctor visits, 6 x-rays, 1 MRI, and a cortisone shot with surgery still a possibility.

A short term temporary insurance plan would help too. I have used Fortis in the past and may go that route again until I am settled in Utah and have a chance to really look into health care options.

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:12 PM   #2
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

I used SelectHealth (IHC) for about 8 months. It was $201.00 a month to insure myself and my infant son. The co-pays and everything were very reasonable.

They wouldn't cover my wife because of a pre-existing condition.

Last edited by Colly Wolly; 07-07-2006 at 03:26 PM.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 01:22 AM   #3
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick It In Him
I used SelectHealth (IHC) for about 8 months. It was $201.00 a month to insure myself and my infant son. The co-pays and everything were very reasonable.

They wouldn't cover my wife because of a pre-existing condition.
I just checked that out(as I am quitting as well shortly). It looked good until I found out that it is a Utah plan with just a few providers in the adjacent states. Nothing remotely close to Texas.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:30 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I will have to pay $360/month out of pocket for insurance. So much for great govt. employee benefits. $25 copay on MD visits and $25 for preferred prescriptions. I had better benefits when I was a resident.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 03:00 AM   #5
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Bluepete on Cougarboard is a health insurance rep, he helped out me and my wife, send him a boardmail he can take care of you.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:32 PM   #6
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtall
I just checked that out(as I am quitting as well shortly). It looked good until I found out that it is a Utah plan with just a few providers in the adjacent states. Nothing remotely close to Texas.
Sorry. Sometimes I just assume Utah.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:38 PM   #7
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I've gone through ehealth.com. They have large group, small group and individual policies. Its also very convenient to shop around on their site.

We did an individual family policy for a year and paid a ton for it. This past year we did a small group policy and it actually cheaper for me to pay for my family and our employees than it was for our family alone. Small business is definitely the way to go if its an option.

My experience is that if you want a good comprehensive converage policy, you're going to pay for it. If you have an HMO available in your area, you'll save quite a bit. They are not available where I live so PPO was the only option. Most premiums were fairly comparable between companies. We went with Blue cross, but Blue Shield and Pacificare were decent coverage as well.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:25 PM   #8
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

The ones I have been looking at are both Blue Cross and Blue Shield. I can't find anything without paying co-insurance of at least 20%. Cheapest deductible too is $250. Is there such thing as individual health without co-insurance in Utah?

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:48 PM   #9
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33
The straw broke the camel's back today and I am in the process of writing my resignation. It was coming anyway as I am about to embark on my own venture, just not this soon. The big bosses pushed and the only leverage I have to push back with is my position. Oh well, such is life.

Our business will be based out of Utah, probably Salt Lake Co. Right now it's an LLC with me and a partner but we'll probably be adding another one or two shortly. I really would like health insurance for the peace of mind as I don't have any existing conditions that require routine health care or prescriptions, but I have had my share of accidents including my most recent one that resulted in 4 doctor visits, 6 x-rays, 1 MRI, and a cortisone shot with surgery still a possibility.

A short term temporary insurance plan would help too. I have used Fortis in the past and may go that route again until I am settled in Utah and have a chance to really look into health care options.

Any help here is greatly appreciated.
If I were you I would go with a health savings account. Contact the people at health equity (its owned and operated by person on this boards brother)
www.healthequity.com

Basically you have a high deductible and a health savings account. Once you reach your deductible it takes over and everything is resolved by the insurance company. Best thing is that your savings account can roll over from year to year. Its a good deal especially if you are single.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:31 AM   #10
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

This looks like a good resource: https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/

I'm checking it out. It looks like it presents some good options.