cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 09:55 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tenure for Bishops

My stake president said in a meeting that the church is looking to increase the tenure of Bishops to about the same amount of time as Stake Presidents (10 years).

I think he also suggested that Stake Presidents would serve longer.

This was in the context of him telling us that he expected people who are in scouting callings to be there for many years (no turnover).

Interesting.

If Stake Presidents went for 15 to 20 years, for all practical purposes it's like being in the 70.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:58 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
My stake president said in a meeting that the church is looking to increase the tenure of Bishops to about the same amount of time as Stake Presidents (10 years).

I think he also suggested that Stake Presidents would serve longer.

This was in the context of him telling us that he expected people who are in scouting callings to be there for many years (no turnover).

Interesting.

If Stake Presidents went for 15 to 20 years, for all practical purposes it's like being in the 70.
Last calling you will ever have. Hmm.

Glad it won't apply to me.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:00 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Last calling you will ever have. Hmm.

Glad it won't apply to me.
You just jinxed yourself.

"Br. Archaea, it makes no sense to me either, in fact I fought it for days and days with the Lord, but He wants you in this position. Go figure."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:02 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
"I [sic] surprised that such a racist pig like [Harold B.] Lee would permit something so progressive" --Tex
FYI, I corrected the spelling on the quote ("[sic]") shortly after I posted it.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:20 PM   #5
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a hard time seeing bishops being called for that length (10 years). I don't think the church will do it for a couple of reasons:

**Keep the bishop fresh...most comment that 5 years is about when they start running out of steam.

**Families...not fair to a family to have their husband gone for 10 years in a row.

**No need...I don't see the need for someone to be bishop for the amount of time. Even in scouting, I can see 5 years, but 10 years also seems extreme.

I just don't see this happening. But, shockingly enough, I have been wrong before. I guess I shouldn't question your stake President, Mike.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:23 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
I have a hard time seeing bishops being called for that length (10 years). I don't think the church will do it for a couple of reasons:

**Keep the bishop fresh...most comment that 5 years is about when they start running out of steam.

**Families...not fair to a family to have their husband gone for 10 years in a row.

**No need...I don't see the need for someone to be bishop for the amount of time. Even in scouting, I can see 5 years, but 10 years also seems extreme.

I just don't see this happening. But, shockingly enough, I have been wrong before. I guess I shouldn't question your stake President, Mike.
Plenty of burnout.

Why burnout somebody such that he needs the retirement home after a calling. We had one bishop who wasn't seen at church for six months following release.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:24 PM   #7
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post

I agree with these reasons. Time was, bishops would stay in for a decade or more, but is there really a need for that now? Every unit has its own challenges, of course, but I would think most wards have enough "talent" (if I can use that term) in them to rotate through a bishop more often than once a decade.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:39 PM   #8
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I agree with these reasons. Time was, bishops would stay in for a decade or more, but is there really a need for that now? Every unit has its own challenges, of course, but I would think most wards have enough "talent" (if I can use that term) in them to rotate through a bishop more often than once a decade.
I agree wholeheartedly. It takes a year or maybe even two for a bishop to hit hsi stride and start to fully implement his vision. Then it should be a coupld of years of smooth sailing (figuratively speaking) and then it is just a matter of time before he starts to burn out a little, at least typically. I think 4-6 years is about right. More than that would be adviseable only where there is a dearth of leadership. Of course, what do I know? (The last quesiton was rhetorical only.)
Old 05-22-2007, 10:41 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. It takes a year or maybe even two for a bishop to hit hsi stride and start to fully implement his vision. Then it should be a coupld of years of smooth sailing (figuratively speaking) and then it is just a matter of time before he starts to burn out a little, at least typically. I think 4-6 years is about right. More than that would be adviseable only where there is a dearth of leadership. Of course, what do I know? (The last quesiton was rhetorical only.)
You would make a great bishop. I hope they call you to that.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:47 PM   #10
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You would make a great bishop. I hope they call you to that.
I thought we were friends.