cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cooper's transfer

http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=9398

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand he wasn't going to play this year because of his injury, but we've still seen two pretty good QB's leave the program in the last 8 months.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Cooper and Bowers both gone.

We're down to Hall, Gaskins, and nepotism boy.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:45 PM   #3
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Cooper and Bowers both gone.

We're down to Hall, Gaskins, and nepotism boy.
who is "nepotism boy"? Utah had lance rice...
Old 06-29-2007, 05:09 PM   #4
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
who is "nepotism boy"? Utah had lance rice...
He's likely making a reference to Sam Doman, a relative of linebacker Shaun Doman.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

My guess is that it has everything to do with him and nothing to do with coaches and the program at BYU. He will be one more year behind Hall. If Hall gets hurt he will be one more year behind Gaskins as far as experience goes.

One thing it may show some of the "the campus is my world" mentality fans is that BYU is not the ultimate spot on earth to be for everyone. These kids that play sports make sports decisions. More power to them. Hopefully a kid with a full ride academic schollie to Stanford we would not deride as being immature or lacking in character because hit didn't choose the BYU environment.

I know I sound like a broken record, but the most important thing for BYU football success is winning. All else including record breaking fireside attendance depends on it.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
One thing it may show some of the "the campus is my world" mentality fans is that BYU is not the ultimate spot on earth to be for everyone. These kids that play sports make sports decisions. More power to them. Hopefully a kid with a full ride academic schollie to Stanford we would not deride as being immature or lacking in character because hit didn't choose the BYU environment.

I know I sound like a broken record, but the most important thing for BYU football success is winning. All else including record breaking fireside attendance depends on it.
Interesting thoughts. How do you think Cooper's transfer will show fans that BYU is not the ultimate spot on earth for everyone? I'm not intentionally being obtuse, but I don't see the connection.

As for your second point, I completely agree. If BYU continues to win, blue shirt fans and blue chip recruits will follow.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:25 PM   #7
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Interesting thoughts. How do you think Cooper's transfer will show fans that BYU is not the ultimate spot on earth for everyone? I'm not intentionally being obtuse, but I don't see the connection.

As for your second point, I completely agree. If BYU continues to win, blue shirt fans and blue chip recruits will follow.
One of my failings is to post something in gneral, that is really targeted for a select few. When Cooper came I read posts, primarily on one site, that indicated what a mature and integrity filled young man this was. Even though he could have gone somewhere else and had a better shot, he came to BYU because he realized what the "BYU experience" could offer him outside of football.

Now I hope with all my heart every recruit we go after will want the "BYU experience" and choose BYU. However, I still get nauseated when someone tries to distinguish those that recognize the value of the "experience" are of of higher character and maturity.

It seems this young man pronounced as having the higher maturity and character has now chosen to go elsewhere. Maybe the devil has gotten to him.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:55 PM   #8
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
One of my failings is to post something in gneral, that is really targeted for a select few. When Cooper came I read posts, primarily on one site, that indicated what a mature and integrity filled young man this was. Even though he could have gone somewhere else and had a better shot, he came to BYU because he realized what the "BYU experience" could offer him outside of football.
I think this is as much of a failing of college sports fans in general and not specific to BYU. Every school has it's positive traits outside of athletics and fans inflate how important they are to an athletes personal and social development. Thus, when an athlete chooses the school they will not only achieve athletic success but they will be a better person, meet prettier girls, and attend better parties. Notre Dame, Ohio State, USC, Michigan, and a host of other fanbases do this. BYU is a little more tricky because of the LDS culture, but it's just because we emphasize the "spiritual growth" that may occur.

For the most part, I think these concerns for the athletes' well-being are disingenuous. It mainly boils down to the fact that fans want the best players available play for their school.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:51 PM   #9
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I don't have a problem with Cooper leaving. He has a history of bouncing from school to school dating back to high school, trying to find the best situation for him.

My guess is ends up at Utah State....a place where he can compete and likely start right away.

I wish him the best.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:24 PM   #10
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=9398

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand he wasn't going to play this year because of his injury, but we've still seen two pretty good QB's leave the program in the last 8 months.
I don't find anything too noteworthy about this. It's basically like losing a JC recruit that would sign after next season. If Gaskins proves himself as an adequate backup, you don't need to do it. If he doesn't, then you might go offer another one. Not a big deal. The timing of his injury was devestating, but once it happened, him transferring is no big deal.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote