cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #1
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I have some mixed emotions when sharing

spiritual and the secular. Not that I don't think it happens. In my opinion it should happen all the time. I think one should pray for guidance in major business decisions. If you are going to make a career decision, I think it wise to pray on the matter.

I have not been one though who liked to share those experiences with a lot of people. My own feelings are they are too unique to me. For instance I thought an answer to my prayers was to make a business decision and move back to Utah. I just couldn't see myself standing up in front of my ward in Sacrament meeting and explaining why Utah was a better place for my family because, there were more memebers there, more LDS kids for my kids to associate with, more oppotunity for Temple attendance, etc. In other words let the other members of the ward know the Lord answered my prayers and wants me in Utah for spiritual and family reasons. That answer I felt was unique for me and my family.

What am I getting at. I think it is wise for Bronco to tell these recruits what are the pluses of BYU. To not do so is to shirk his responsibility. I would hope he would tell them to pray and ponder on their decision. I truly feel if a recruit tells Bronco no, Bronco doesn't tell them they didn't pray properly or get in the right spirit. However, there are those out there who upon hearing a recruit chooses another school immediately start going into the the kid is not mature or of high character mode.

Sometimes when I read a story on TBS and read the follow up posts I feel like I am at an evangelist pep rally. Everyone bearing their testimonies as to the truthfulness of BYU.

Like I said, I have mixed emotions. I think Bronco and the kids are sincere and doing the right thing. I just wonder if some of the fans don't take the stories and make more out of them than should be made.

This of course goes both ways. Those who are not part of the "true" University overreact in the opposite direction.

Disclaimor: This is an opinion I am expressing. I did not pray or seek any spiritual guidance before posting this opinion.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:07 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
spiritual and the secular. Not that I don't think it happens. In my opinion it should happen all the time. I think one should pray for guidance in major business decisions. If you are going to make a career decision, I think it wise to pray on the matter.

I have not been one though who liked to share those experiences with a lot of people. My own feelings are they are too unique to me. For instance I thought an answer to my prayers was to make a business decision and move back to Utah. I just couldn't see myself standing up in front of my ward in Sacrament meeting and explaining why Utah was a better place for my family because, there were more memebers there, more LDS kids for my kids to associate with, more oppotunity for Temple attendance, etc. In other words let the other members of the ward know the Lord answered my prayers and wants me in Utah for spiritual and family reasons. That answer I felt was unique for me and my family.

What am I getting at. I think it is wise for Bronco to tell these recruits what are the pluses of BYU. To not do so is to shirk his responsibility. I would hope he would tell them to pray and ponder on their decision. I truly feel if a recruit tells Bronco no, Bronco doesn't tell them they didn't pray properly or get in the right spirit. However, there are those out there who upon hearing a recruit chooses another school immediately start going into the the kid is not mature or of high character mode.

Sometimes when I read a story on TBS and read the follow up posts I feel like I am at an evangelist pep rally. Everyone bearing their testimonies as to the truthfulness of BYU.

Like I said, I have mixed emotions. I think Bronco and the kids are sincere and doing the right thing. I just wonder if some of the fans don't take the stories and make more out of them than should be made.

This of course goes both ways. Those who are not part of the "true" University overreact in the opposite direction.

Disclaimor: This is an opinion I am expressing. I did not pray or seek any spiritual guidance before posting this opinion.

I can't help but think some of the blame for this has to go to TBS. I'm not sure I've ever read an article in the DesNews, SLTrib, or Daily Herald that went into prayer and religious language this much when talking about football recruits. With TBS, this seems to be part of every article that is produced.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I can't help but think some of the blame for this has to go to TBS. I'm not sure I've ever read an article in the DesNews, SLTrib, or Daily Herald that went into prayer and religious language this much when talking about football recruits. With TBS, this seems to be part of every article that is produced.
Well, they are printing what the recruit told them. Don't you think that religion plays a large part in how most of BYU's recruits choose to play there? You just get a more complete picture of the process than the watered down Cliff's Notes of your local fishwraps.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Well, they are printing what the recruit told them. Don't you think that religion plays a large part in how most of BYU's recruits choose to play there? You just get a more complete picture of the process than the watered down Cliff's Notes of your local fishwraps.
So what you are telling us is these kids are going to BYU not because there are great coaches. Not because they think BYU football can be very good. They are going because there is a great spiritual re-awakening.

These writers can emphasize what they want. The gang they write for are dang near evangelistic. I get sick of reading about one kid being mature and full of integrity because he chose BYU as opposed to one who didn't.

I am getting a little worn out by it and so I understand how someone not of the BYU faith might be getting more than tired of it.

I still maintain winning will put butts in the stands and in the pews at the firesides. I want to hear about these kids football wise. If I want a heavy dose of the spirit I will cancel my TBS subscription and renew the Ensign.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
So what you are telling us is these kids are going to BYU not because there are great coaches. Not because they think BYU football can be very good. They are going because there is a great spiritual re-awakening.
Where did I say that? I just said it was a part of the process.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:29 PM   #6
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Where did I say that? I just said it was a part of the process.
I will go reread the article. I got very little football out of it. I will have to read the articles in say the Stanford thing. Maybe they have 90% of the article about the recruit discussing how he came for the education.

I know BYU is a private religious instituion. So is ND. I like hearing about ND football.

It is just my preference, but I would like to read in a BYU sports journal about football with a light dose of spiritual manifestations. I hope they go on, I am just not interested from a sports perspective.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #7
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

These writers can emphasize what they want. The gang they write for are dang near evangelistic. I get sick of reading about one kid being mature and full of integrity because he chose BYU as opposed to one who didn't.

I am getting a little worn out by it and so I understand how someone not of the BYU faith might be getting more than tired of it.

I still maintain winning will put butts in the stands and in the pews at the firesides. I want to hear about these kids football wise. If I want a heavy dose of the spirit I will cancel my TBS subscription and renew the Ensign.

It seems to me that what Bronco is doing is the equivalent of a change in "corporate culture" in the business world. The benefit he has is not only getting buy in from players and fans, but also writers that cover BYU athletics.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
It seems to me that what Bronco is doing is the equivalent of a change in "corporate culture" in the business world. The benefit he has is not only getting buy in from players and fans, but also writers that cover BYU athletics.
The writers are appealing to their readership. The vocal ones anyway. From my perspective though I am getting less and less of what I want.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:00 PM   #9
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

So are you talking about this specific TBS article?

Summary:
- dude is told he needs to figure out if BYU is right for him
- dude takes that as a sign that BYU doesn't want him and decides that he will commit to the U
- before committing, dude prays about decision to commit to the U and has a stupor of thought
- dude goes through the week and hears lots of people talking about BYU
- dude interprets talk about BYU as "a sign from Heavenly Father on what I should do"
- dude verbally commits to BYU

I think I understand what you're getting at here, BYU71. I'm perfectly fine with the dude's method on how he decided to commit; however, I'm not sure that it needs to be published about in the press. Maybe it's just the way that TBS writes the articles that bugs me. They just seem so smarmy and self-righteous.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:17 PM   #10
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.utefans.net/message.php?i...#message470655

this was mildly amusing...