cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So I guess we lost a recruit

I don't know if all of you RM's experienced this in the mission field, but I had a couple of people ready for baptism who backed out. They felt the spirit, but it just left them. Since I believe the gospel would have brought much into their lives I still feel they felt the spirit but just couldn't follow through and I felt sad.

When it comes to secular things I am not so sure when someone declares a feeling of the spirit. Good for them if they do, but it isn't a faith promoting experience for me and thus if they lose the spirit and change their mind it isn't a bummer for me either.

The kid felt something for BYU and changed his mind. No different than any other kid who while on some college campus gets excited and then changes his mind.

I don't mind Bronco emphasizing the religious atmoshpere for these kids at BYU. For some kids that is very important, just like education, pretty girls or nice beaches are for other kids.

I have been criticized for saying this in the past, but I just don't get any more excited over a football recruit bearing his testimony upon committing than I do over a recruit who says he is coming to BYU because he thinks BYU has a great football program.

As far as my relationship goes with these kids it is about football. I let their family and friends delight in their spiritual growth.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote