cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2007, 05:03 AM   #11
El Jefe

El Jefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
if he said that, it's not true.

he's many thousands of dollars in the black.

Count the number of donors. That is at minimum $10 per. More accurate might be something like $13 per (some donate more than once or donate more than minimum).

and that's not even including ad revenue.
I believe I may have said that in the past. I have not said that recently. Ever since I started getting free hosting for the server, I have had very few expenses, and thus have been in the black. Before that, I was in the black most months, but really not by much. I do remember telling someone that while Cougarboard made money, if I was paid hourly, it would be less than minimum wage. It's mostly my own fault for how I do things over there, but I'm guessing that I put a lot more time into Cougarboard than you put into this site.

The advertising didn't actually generate a ton of revenue until recently. It was pretty ridiculous, in fact. The Google ads were horrible. The company I've been working with for the advertising has had a hard time getting things going, so I was stuck displaying ads that I wasn't really happy with because of a contract that I had made with them. I almost canceled the contract, but they finally got things worked out at the last minute before the deadline.

One more point - many donors have changed usernames, and they show up twice in the donor list. I should really fix that, it wouldn't be too hard. Also, some people are listed as donor even though they haven't donated, for various reasons.

Last thing - in your appeal, you gave the impression that you thought I was just trying to make money off of the billboard thing. I assure you that I am not. So far, not only is it costing me more than people donated (which I'm happy to cover), but I've also put a fair amount of time into it, probably 30-40 hours so far. I'm excited that we're finally going to see some results, but I'm planning to take a break...

You definitely have a pessimistic view of my motives. It's unfortunate. I do run Cougarboard differently than you run Cougarguard. I know your opinion of me and of Cougarboard is colored by experiences that you've had, and I'm sorry I haven't been able to do a better job addressing your concerns.
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote