cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa
Default I may adopt in the future

The lady I'm dating has 2 children that she's essentially raised on her own.

A 8 year old girl and a 7 year old boy.

Her ex-husband is hardly involved in eithers life. It was only recently over the past couple of months that he's started taking them for a day on the weekends. He's a deadbeat Dad and never pays child support. My girlfriend doesn't want to go after him to get those payments back for a couple of different reasons that I don't agree with, but yet, I don't tell her that cause they aren't my kids and she's done an awesome job of raising them.

Now granted this isn't the same scenario that Mike is setting up, but it does go to the core of his poll that he put up. She didn't have them out of wedlock, but she has essentially raised them fatherless.

It hasn't been broached yet, but I'm almost certain when or if the time comes and we get married that the topic of legally adopting them so that I'm their legal father will arise. I will be happy to do so if she wishes it and we're agreed on it that it's best for the kids. She's extremely sensitive about these kinds of things, so I make it a point to not step on her toes because of how good she is to her children.

I think adoption is a wonderful thing.

One of my sisters had a child out of wedlock when she was in her early 20's. She met with a couple from Hawaii who'd been looking to adopt through LDS Social Services and she gave the little girl up for adoption.

A few years ago the young girl, now 15 years old was back in Utah with her adoptive parents and met with my sister and My sister was absolutely thrilled at the life this girl had been given because of the services that were there for them.

My sister was never told she HAD to give the baby up for adoption. She was told to prayerfully consider what she wanted to do and that she would be supported regardless.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 11-13-2007 at 09:12 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote