cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2007, 06:51 PM   #11
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

This is an interesting issue. I thought Romney looked weak on this question at th debate and I was (and have been) persuaded by McCain that water boarding is simply unacceptable. OTOH, the THREAT of doing something has long been a big part of our military and diplomatic approach. Anybody that grew up before '89 recalls the doctrine of mutual assured destruction. Remember, that we would not agree or state that we would never commit a nuclear first strike. Think about that in terms of morality. Even so, that refusal may have given us an advantage, even if small, that was exploited to avoid war, keep the Soviets at bay, and perhaps even contribute to the downfall of the wall, so to speak. I don't like water boarding, but I also don't like the idea of a first strike. Maybe neither one should be a matter of public pronouncements.