cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2008, 03:49 AM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default An indictment of single LDS men

I was talking with a friend tonight who related some interesting information about the BYU dating scene. Since I'm old I thought I'd run some of her thoughts by the young guys here and see if they agree.

First, she's referring to the experiences of her younger sister who has just returned from BYU and was disillusioned with her experience there socially. I should preface this by saying this is an intelligent, beautiful woman who would fall into the "mainstream" category as far as activity in the church is concerned.

Apparently she felt that many men had little interest in dating. She said that many were lazy in the manner in which they asked her out when they bothered to do so. For instance, a text message versus a phone call or an in person invitation. She mentioned that in both of the wards she attended while there the bishop actually resorted to calling men into his office and asking them "do you have a date for this weekend?" If they didn't he'd pressure them to get out and ask someone by Friday.

I asked what these guys supposedly do instead of dating and was told that most of these guys would rather sit at home with their buddies and play video games. She said it was incredible how many guys she met who preferred gaming to dating. She also mentioned that the thought of a 25 year old man more interested in World of Warcraft than in his studies was quite a turn off.

If this is true then things have really changed since I was there. Beautiful girls always had options and I didn't know a normal, single guy who preferred video games to dating. I've thought that talks like Oaks' recent "get out there and date" talk were coming from left field, but perhaps there's something to them. How much truth do you recent grads think there is to her sentiments?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote