cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2008, 02:57 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm going to take this gun control argument

one step further. Those of you that are upstanding citizens, with good moral judgment, who believe in a free society free from murder and other crimes....I posit that you have a moral duty to arm yourselves. In order to protect yourself, your families, your community, the constitution, and this country.

Now, I realize not everyone is going to make this choice. But is it wrong for me to have respect for those that are willing to take on this moral burden? Why do some of you shrink from this burden?

Now, I am not advocating machismo, or vigilantism, or anything of the sort. I'm not saying you have to appreciate guns or enjoy the use of them. I'm saying that by arming yourself, you have taken upon yourself a critical duty that our forefathers saw as defense of this country.

Now if you want to be the equivalent of a conscientious objector, that's fine. But please don't criticize those who aren't. Even the justified killing of another man in self-defense is poison to the soul, but we don't recognize the weight of that. The burden of that. Some would rather die, and I can respect that also. But not all of us want to die.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 02-18-2008 at 04:09 AM.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote