cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I am beginning to believe

that BYU might actually win one in the dance. The mixture of defense, good outside shooters and BYU's ability inside has me believing more than before. Since the midseason slump and UNLV debacle I figured that BYU's backcourt would be so athletically manhandled that come tournie time the Y would turn the ball over 20 times and lose. With the emergence of Jimmer at PG and the genuine ability to compete on the defensive end I actually think there is a really good shot BYU could finally get that win.

Further, props goes to Dave Rose for what he has done with Jonathon Tavernari. JT is now an asset out there in multiple ways. Offensively he is becoming a complete player with the ability to pass the ball and involve others in his game. He is competing on defense and using his physical strength to rebound. He will never be able to guard perimeter players as he lacks the quickness, but as a shorter 4 he is OK because of his bulk and physical strength.

Next two games will really be the indicator of where BYU is. UNM is playing very, very well right now. In fact they might be playing better than BYU. I do not forsee a win in the Pit and to be honest they are the team I least want to face in the MWC tourney. SDSU has slipped a bit but beating them in San Diego will still be tough but I think BYU will win on Saturday.

I think it is time to start thinking about seeding for BYU at the tourney. If BYU wins out I think they will be a 5 or 6 seed. If the Y only loses one more game this year and it is not the 1st round of the MWC tourney, I see them coming in at 7 or 8. If they lose two more games I think they will be a 9 or 10. If they lose 3 they are a bubble team and will get a 12 seed.