cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road
Default Quick overview of seeding

-Note that I'm not a big believer in the anti-BYU conspiracy. I think it's mostly a lot of bunk.

Still, I wanted to point out some things about the seeding that, to me, seem sort of 'off'.

-Based on straight-RPI seeding, BYU was the FIRST 7-seed (note that UNLV was actually the LAST 6-seed). A one-seed drop isn't that out of the ordinary (of the top-50 RPI teams, 5 appear to have not been seeded at all, and the largest disparity was a 3-seed drop (Kent State), while the largest increase was Purdue (+6).

-Some claim that there were no 7-seeds available for BYU. Not true. The following seeds would play entirely Thursday/Saturday games (Note, I'm ONLY including 5-7 seeds):

7th seed in the West.
6th seed in the West.
5th seed in the East.

-The following teams had an RPI lower than ours. I'll include their record, SOS & conference, for your information.

Notre Dame, 24-7, 81, Big East
West Virginia, 23-10, 45, Big East
Oklahoma, 22-11, 13, Big12
USC, 21-11, 9, Pac10
Gonzaga, 25-7, 93, WCC
Miami (FL), 21-10, 42, ACC
Purdue, 24-8, 114, Big10

I don't think it surprising that any one of these teams were seeded ahead of BYU, but I think BYU has a better resume than several.

-The ONLY team with an RPI-seed higher than BYU that was seeded lower was Kent State.

I'll let everyone draw their own conclusions on this. Did FIVE of the teams with lower RPI's than BYU deserve higher seeds than BYU? Personally, I think West Virginia, Oklahoma, and USC likely did. You can make a case for Notre Dame & Miami.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote