cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2006, 06:02 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anybody ever been to Civil War battlefields?

To accompany my child who performed with his school group at the Kennedy Center in DC, I traveled with the group to DC.

Observations for those that care, otherwise, snicker or ridicule to your heart's content:

DC is small and very accessible, but finding a gas station there is a nightmare.

The Washington Hilton, where Reagan was shot, is run down and not a very good property.

Gays in DC are very in your face about it; made me want to start a straight sex awareness week, or a Straight Sex with skinny, young and attractive females awareness week. My guess is it wouldn't go over well in DC.

After having visited DC a number of times, I don't care to go back. There is less to do there than New York which can be new every time.

Seeing battlefields with boys is great. We were in Gettysburg on Monday and they did a reenactment of amputations of the wounded. The guides are knowledgeable and friendly.

The battle came as a result of a number of horrific blunders and it is no wonder General Pickett finished last in his class at West Point.

How could one be a general or President knowing you get to pick which young men die?

It was a moving experience having taken the tour of the fields, then to go to the cemetery and read Lincoln's words. One leaves wondering what would have happened had the sides found political solutions. Would we be witnessing apartheid in the South?

Would our economies have not risen to the extent that we would not have defeated Japan and Germany in WWII?

Gettysburgh may have had as many as 51,000 casualties with armies of 75,000 against 93,000. Amazing.

Bull Run was less impressive, and it seems odd given the positioning on the hill that they made so much out of Jackson given his position on the hill, but maybe I didn't get the proper perspective.

Who has seen famous battlefields?

Last edited by Archaea; 05-30-2006 at 11:30 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote