cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-20-2008, 11:54 AM   #11
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
So you are going to require homosexuals to demonstrate the success of a society built on their standard of marriage, which is impossible to do because they aren't permitted to be married in the first place? Bravo, Tex. And your comment about marriage as constituted being "very successful" was a throwaway comment by you without much to support it. When more than half end in divorce and even more than that are subjected to sexual infidelity by one of the members of the marriage and even more than that have a child outside of marriage, you are going to have to do some explaining to get to "very successful."

Nice finish of "I am rubber you are glue." Sadly, that is the best argument you have given yet. My low expectations have once again prevented disappointment.
I'll call your bull on this, Cali. Do you even know where the "half of all marriages end in divorce" comes from? Someone looked and saw that in a certain year in the early 80s, there were something like 2.4 million marriages and 1.2 million divorces in the United States. But that's like looking at 4.4 million births and 2.2 million deaths in a given year and concluding that half of all births will end in death. But it fit various individuals and organizations purposes, so it has become a commonly quoted yet false statistic.

It is actually difficult to identify the "true divorce rate", for a variety of reasons that I'll not go in to. (Just think of Elizabeth Taylor in a room with 8 happily once- and still-married women and tell me what the divorce rate is among the people in the room to see the problem.) But if you just need a number that has some sort of accurate meaning for what people are trying to say, it appears to be in the neighborhood of one third of all marriages end in divorce. Still way too high, but not what you are saying.
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote