cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-20-2008, 06:13 PM   #11
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
Sure. If we're going totally non-religious here, feel free to tar and feather me for my "outrageous" question. Many would claim it to be so. Though it is still a fair question and has gone completely unanswered to this point (which shows just how weak Cali's argument is).

But if we ARE allowing religion into the debate, then my question to you is "Do you know what my 3 examples all have in common with each other?" Then you would know why I picked them. And the answer isn't just an LDS one, but Christian, Jew, and Muslim.

Answer: In the Law of Moses, which God gave to his Prophet Moses on Mount Sinai, he declared that all 3 of those examples (along with adultery) would be punishable by death. Period.

Adultery is no longer illegal, and doesn't even factor into divorce proceedings nearly as much as it used to. And none of them are punishable by death in this country any more (though some are still in the Middle East). But bestiality and statutory rape (can anyone say "Karl Malone"?) are still illegal. Homosexuality is legal, but gay marriage is hotly debated.

So the question is, why have these laws changed? Why have some become more acceptable than others? And is there really a solid argument for any of them?

Are you asking why statutory rape and bestiality should be illegal but not homosexuality? First of all, it is ridiculous that you would make such a comparison. Homosexual sex is between two consenting adults (and you are now talking about sex versus marriage). Bestiality is between one adult and one animal, and it would constitute abuse of the animal, creates the possibility of all kinds of transfer of diseases that may not otherwise be possible, etc. Statutory rape is an act where one party cannot possibly give consent, because the law provides that the minor is incapable of consenting. To say that there are zero differences between the acts of statutory rape, bestiality and homosexual sex is silly, and I think you know it.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote