cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2008, 04:46 AM   #1
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road
Default My boy is 2 1/2 and doesn't talk.

My wife is really worried, but I've taken a very laid back approach. But now that we've hit the downhill approach to 3, I want to be more proactive, or at least just talk to a professional. We haven't taken him to a doctor or anything for his delayed speech. I don't like parental alarmism, and I think kids should be given space and patience to develop, with loving encouragement. But my wife has been chafing at my "I'm not worried" statements, and I am now curious why he may not be talking.

He makes good eye contact, plays well, likes physical affection . . . but he can't say a single word except "yah" and "mo" -- his "yes" and "no." Not a single other word. He won't try to make the sounds when we have worked with him.

Internet tells me there are a host of reasons for delayed speech. We're going to take him to his pediatrician, but have any of you guys or gals had any experience with this?

I'm tired of telling my wife that Einstein didn't talk until he was four.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote