cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2008, 08:09 PM   #11
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I do recognize that some religions accept it. But if you were to add up the memberships of Islam, Judaism and Christians who belong to congregations that don't accept it, you would be talking about 99% of all "people of the Book." So the weight of the religious tradition behind marriage is pretty much all on the side that rejects homosexual behavior.

My point is that I assume that like gays who are raised Mormon, that vast majority of people who are gay and raised in some other faith will reject organized religion rather than seek out a denomination who accepts them. If you have rejected organized religion as all but the tiny minority who seek a new one out do, then what you desire is that trapping and ritual of a tradition that has rejected you.

Again, I don't say they aren't entitled to it. Maybe I lay to much emphasis on the religious. Perhaps it is a secular enough ritual now that it is really the imprimatur of societal approval that is at issue. I just think if I were gay I would not remotely care what any religion or government thought of my relationship. I would find the idea that I should want their approval demeaning. But that's just me.
Gays may not seek out a denomination, but many still strive for a level of spirituality in their lives. It may not be the spirituality that Mormons imagine, but it is very real to them. I would imagine that committing yourself to one person in the form of marriage would have spiritual meaning to a gay person despite not belonging to any denomination.

However, the main reason that gays want the right to be married is to increase their general acceptance in society, and I really can't blame them for wanting it for this reason alone.

Last edited by Flystripper; 07-29-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote