cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2008, 12:29 AM   #11
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
How does the genetic component of homosexuality not destroy the Mormon or other orthodox view of the existence of God?

How can you reconcile the two?
I don't really see the incompatibility. Even if you view the state of homosexuality as a sin (which I don't), God has allowed genetic predispositions toward violence, substance abuse, and promiscuity to persist in certain individuals -- why would he not allow genetic predisposition to homosexuality?

I read a book about bonobos and chimps recently (Our Inner Ape, by Frans De Waal) and these primates, especially bonobos, which share 95%+ of our genetic material, engage in a great deal of homosexual activity.

Now why evolution would preserve genetic tendencies toward homosexuality in humans and other primates is an interesting question, since being gay is a fairly obvious reproductive disadvantage. I saw an article recently that suggested that the female relatives of homosexual men have more children on average than females without male homosexual relatives. Probably the "gay genes" lead to reproductive advantage in straight people when they are present in certain combinations that don't lead to homosexuality.

Anyway, for me homosexuality being "in the genes" doesn't seem like much of a challenge to belief in God. There are plenty of other more troubling philosophical challenges from my perspective.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote