cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-2006, 05:09 AM   #11
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
The problem with doubt is that it doesn't tackle and deplete a testimony all at once. If it did, people could avoid making choices that they might one day come to regret. The process is more akin to a tire with a slow leak. Or to mix metaphors, like a genie in a tire with a slow leak. In my own case I drove on that tire a lot farther than I should have, and once the genie was out of the tire (really bad mixed metaphors )there is no putting it back.

As for fus, I suggest he drive on that tire as long as it feels right. Who knows... there might be enough pressure to last a lifetime of driving. But if he finds himself stranded somewhere in the middle of Nevada with a flat, I would make this simple observation-- your life will be full of happiness no matter where your doubt lands you, so long as you strive to cultivate a kind heart and charity for all. Be honest with your wife, and let her know how you feel at all times. Your marriage is going to be a journey of sorts, and the person that you are at the end of that journey will not be the same person you see in the mirror today. As long as you communicate totally, the full extent of your ideas and feelings, you will be on the journey together. If you find that you grow apart, it will be in full light and understanding of who you both are. But if your experience is anything like my own, (and I think it would be) you will find that such open communication kindles a deeper love and respect.

And don't worry so much about things. If you believe what the church says, this lifetime is a blip in existence, with an eternity stretching out behind us and an eternity stretching out before us. Concentrate on what brings you and your wife happiness in this lifetime, and rest assured that if God is anything like what Mormons describe, if you cultivate a kind heart with charity for all, in the many eternities that stretch out before us, you will find yourself no more the poorer for entertaining some doubt in this lifetime.

On the other hand, if God is a crank who intends to hold your doubts against you for the eternities, then He doesn't deserve your worship.

Cheers,

R.
That was the first intelligent post in this thread. How in the world can peoople pile on somebody for doubting? The people that never doubt are the ones that scare me.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote