cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
I don't know how many time I have heard that if you follow a leader and the leader turns out to be wrong, you will be blessed for it. Think about what that means. This means man is greater than God. You went against God's will because you followed bad advice from a man. Now God is going to reward you for it? That doesn't seems right to me. I doubt God places church management positions above his commandments.
I don't think that's a logical jump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Tex's request is somewhat ironic.

Frankly, the LESS material on fallibilty of Church leaders, the better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I'm not sure why anyone needs new material. There are two issues, racism and polygamy, where designated prophets of God have spoken out and been completely wrong. These are not small issues. They had significant impact on members' lives and families. There are a thousand smaller issues we could discuss, but if the point we're trying to make is that prophets are fallible (and sometimes in significant ways), I'm not sure why we need to.
I'm not sure I'm in the mood to foster another 300+ thread on prophetic infallibility. Suffice it to say, I think the blacks and the priesthood issue has become the Godwin's Law of Mormon message board obedience discussions. I've said this before.

Anytime someone wants to flaunt prophetic counsel, they cite blacks and the priesthood. Anytime someone wants to push their own pet agenda on church doctrine, they cite blacks and the priesthood.

"The church will someday sanction homosexuality."
"No, they won't."
"Of course they will. Hell, they gave blacks the priesthood!"

It truly cheapens what happened that 1978 summer.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote