cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2008, 11:26 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default The crux of the gay marriage issue is immutabilitiy or not

I challenge anti-gay marriage folks like Tex and LA Ute to convince me that being gay is a choice. If it is, I grant you your gay marriage ban. On the other hand, gay marriage proponents must make immutability the crux of their case. This is where their moral authority derives. Being gay is not a choice.

I don't believe it's a choice, and the reason is simple. It is two fold: First, Why would someone choose to be gay? Why would someone choose to be hated by at least half the world, indcluding their own families and churches, and a life of rejection and isolation? Second, I didn't choose to be heterosexual. Based on my persona experience I can't fathom sexual perference being a choice (even for bisexuals it's not a choice).

You anti-gay marriage folks, show me I'm wrong. My mind is open.

P.S., I'm not interested in arguments that immutability is not the issue. The way I see it, people who argue this way are just conceding my second point but still looking for a rationalization for discriminating against gays.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote