cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How comfortable was your endowment experience? (9-very, 5-neutral, 1-very uncomfort.)
9 0 0%
8 1 5.88%
7 4 23.53%
6 0 0%
5 4 23.53%
4 2 11.76%
3 4 23.53%
2 0 0%
1 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-27-2009, 01:52 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking our your own endowment in the temple

I've heard very dedicated, conservative members say that they don't think the church does a good job with temple preparation.

My own temple preparation class was simply an explanation of the purpose of the temple, and provided no insight into any of the actual events that would take place, nor any of the covenants.

During the actual ceremony--and I am not revealing anything that is not in the church approved public record--you are asked to make covenants. However, you are generally with a group of people who are also making the same covenants (often as proxies), and you are literally given a few seconds to respond. In other words, a careful deliberate examination and decision is not really possible, esp. from a social pressure standpoint.

The actual ceremony is arguably VERY different in appearance and custom than Sunday services in a chapel, or the ordinances of baptism, confirmation, and blessings.

All of these things put together, in my opinion, lead to a less-than-optimal experience for many, and a diminished desire to continue attending the temple in the future for many.

So what could be done that would make for a better experience?
1. Reduce the surprise factor. There was one point in the washing/annointing ceremony where I was filled, just for a moment, with great dread. I think some of you guys know what I am talking about. The dread quickly passed, because what I was afraid was going to happen, didn't happen. But wouldn't it have been nice, if I didn't have that thought in the first place, because I had been prepared? The Old Testament talks about special clothing--why can't we prepare members in the temple preparation class and very briefly explain some aspects of temple clothing.

2. The covenants should be known in advance to the participants. You can't tell people that these are among the most important decisions and commitments they will make in their life, and give them 3 seconds to make a decision, as well as make it incredibly difficult, from a social perspective, to say no.

In my own case, I became more comfortable with my temple experience later, after I had talked to some friends and gone again. But I doubt that my feelings on this are unique.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote