cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2009, 03:15 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Healthcare

I was on the phone with a T-mobile rep for about an hour and a half today troubleshooting my phone.

It took a long time because I think she was pretty new, and every step was preceded by "let me place you on hold while I work on this." Which was then likely followed by her asking her boss/trainer what to do next.

Anyway, during some of the downtime while my phone was rebooting, we got to talking. She was from Canada (I asked about her accent).

So I say, what do you think of Canadian healthcare. She related that her mother had died in the past year, and that it was a very difficult time while her mother was in the hospital. She described the nurses as overworked, and the hospital understaffed, and she and family members had to pick up the slack in taking care of their dying mother in the hospital. She said she would not recommend it.

I don't suggest making decisions based on anecdotes. I merely think that was an interesting reminder on where rationed care can lead.

I think if people are honest, they might admit that the only way we are ever going to reduce healthcare costs in this country (besides the obvious things like people living more healthily, which won't happen), is to ration care.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote