cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default On the new ages for missionaries

18 for males, 19 for females.

I think this is a good thing.

A lot of boys don't go directly to college after high school. They stay at home, may or may not go to community college, piddle around in a low-paying job (or not), graduate out of YM program, but are not really integrated into EQ, whether in the home ward or the singles ward.

We lose a lot of kids this way. These are usually not our best and brightest in terms of education (for example, they do not have solid college plans). But we can't afford to lose these kids in the numbers I think we are.

Got a couple of guys in my ward who fit this bill.

The 19 years for females is interesting. Will we see a surge of sister missionaries? 21 is a tough age to go. Close to finishing college. I think that age was purposeful, to try and and discourage women from going on missions and get married instead. This 19 years rule will encourage women to go off to college first, so it may in effect be more dissuading than 18. But that's probably part of the plan.

I wonder if there is a new mission that is anticipated to open soon. China, anyone?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote