cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2015, 11:21 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My report on a case of the broken "Poly Pipeline" at BYU

I posted it on CB, on the offhand chance that I might have some influence on fandom and the program (yeah, I know, ridiculous notion).

But it really bothers me, this idea that we have a coach who doesn't work his butt off to recruit good LDS kids.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=13535879

Quote:
I have mentioned my polynesian source in SoCal who has told me about soured relations between BYU and the best poly football players. I promised more details. Here they are.

I know the exact names of the players I am describing. But my source has asked that these players not be identified. I am only allowed to describe them in a way that would not lead to their direct identification.

Player #1 is a huge BYU fan. He was extremely interested in playing for BYU. When he reached out to the BYU coaches, he was told that they were not interested in visiting him in California. That he would not receive a visit. But that if he was interested in BYU, he would need to come to a BYU camp. This message was received with disappointment. The word used by my source is "snubbed." On the other hand, he did receive personalized attention from other coaches, including the coach of the team he signed with. The head coach of a consensus national top 5 program made a personal visit to meet him and his family. He signed with this team. A coach whom every football fan in America is familiar with. This player's love of BYU gave way in the face of top program making it very clear that he was wanted in their program.

Player #2 is the younger brother or cousin of Player #1. He's an even more highly regarded recruit. The fact that a top coach in America had visited his older relation made a huge impact on him. Since he was a better player, he had leverage. BYU did offer Player #2 and made visits. But this player was most interested in playing for a top football school, and there was no family tie to BYU. My source (who is a close relative to both these players) says Player #2 may have gone to BYU if Player #1 had. But without that, there was little chance. Player #2 signed with one of the top schools in the country. A historical top 10 program in the country.

He says that BYU comes in with the message "We are a unique university looking for unique individuals." Which is received poorly by the top talent. Because what they don't say is "We are a great football program looking for the best talent." The message isn't "excellence." It is "unique." These kids aspire to play in the NFL. They don't feel like BYU is looking for the best talent. And this has nothing to do with the honor code or their desire to follow it.

Should we be surprised by this? Of course not. Bronco Mendenhall has been very clear about his approach. He doesn't recruit players. Players recruit him (and BYU).

The word used by my source is "arrogance." The message doesn't work with the best poly talent. They see other programs and coaches working their butts off to get them to their schools. They don't see the same thing from BYU.

Some of you may try to determine who these players are. I won't acknowledge any post purporting to identify them. But it doesn't really matter who they are. I mean, we know we're not getting the best LDS talent, and we know that the "Poly Pipeline" is not what it should be.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote