cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-15-2006, 04:59 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Brian and Fus's theory on God commanding Adam and Eve not to judge

It's an interesting theory. God tells Adam and Eve not to eat of the fruit of knowledge of good and evil. And the reason is that once they partake, they will begin judging things which they have no business judging.

First, you can't mess with the standard Sunday school answer that the primary issue here with the commandment and the partaking of the fruit was in bringing about awareness/mortality/the ability to procreate, etc. which is a foundation of Mormon doctrine.

But I like Brian's take on looking for depth in simple teachings and parables, so I'll go along with it.

So "don't partake of the fruit" = "don't judge". I like the concept of not judging others. It's a big problem in our society and in Mormon culture. It was a big deal for Jesus with the Pharisees. I agree we shouldn't judge.

Then you get into the crappy answer a lot of Mormons give you where Joseph Smith added the phrase "unrighteously" the the scripture so that it reads don't judge unrighteously instead of don't judge period. I wish Joseph wouldn't have done that because it gives you an immediate cop-out. So I can trash on you if I want, as long as my judgements are made righteously, which I can assure you there are.

Then you get into the business of day to day judgements/discernments. Those certainly fall into a different category. If my creepy, single neighbor keeps inviting my children to his house or asks to take them places, it's perfectly fine for me to think through the possible outcomes and say NO. That doesn't mean I treat him like a jerk or put up a big sign that says "CHILD MOLESTER LIVES NEXT DOOR". I make judgements on whether I should do or allow something, but I shouldn't condemn other people in my head.

Now comes the huge step that comes from God asks us not to judge which Fus makes but not sure if Brian makes or not. That is to add the "don't judge" thing with "God says man is perfect", and then to say nothing man has an inclination to is ever wrong or sinful.

If you were a non-Mormon and brought up that question, it might make for an interesting discussion. If you are a Mormon, then it's just absurd. The concept of sin has been so clearly taught by every prophet and currently today that there's no room for misinterpretation.

I was born with inclination to be gay. Too bad, it's a sin. I was born with inclination to put my fist through my co-worker's face. Too bad, it's a sin. I was born with inclination to shoplift that IPOD I'm coveting. Too bad, it's a sin.

And for SU and non-seq, yes I do need God/revelation/religion to help me out at times on what is right and wrong.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote